Brookline area

8 Replies

My fellow owners/investors in the area of Brookline Village or Coolidge Corner area of Boston - what is the best way to locate rentals without having to go through a realtor for apartment rentals in that area?

Craigslist but be warned there are tons of weirdos. I have had good and bad experiences

Yeah it is pretty close to 100% Craigslist around here.

Putting the place for rent with an agent is useless around here. All that they do is just put ads on Craigslist too. What you are more likely to see is that agents will toll it, repost your apartment to get people to call them on it, then try to get you to have them show the place to their new buyer client.

Pros and Cons of working with them if they bring someone. They will usually do all applications, pre-screening and background checks and will even prep a lease and collect the deposits (You can give them your lease if you have your own or addendums if you want to use the standard Realtor one). The major Con of course is the rental agent fee. However in the current rental market you can probably say that you will work with them but won't pay the fee and they will bring it back on the client. Sucks for the renter since they often then have to come up with 4 months rent upfront but doesn't cost you anything else.

Thanks Shaun,

I may call one of our fellow members in the area. I transferred up here for a job, but the rents are killing me. I'm sub-leasing in Cleveland Park. I was recommended to try to find a place in Roslindale, Jamaica Plains, Medford, Malden or Dorchester to get something within my budget. I don't know whether they are safe neighborhoods or not, but I can check on-line. I'd really like to find someone that knows the area well so they can give me some insight on all this since I came from "suburbia" CT.

Originally posted by @Nancy Molinari :
Thanks Shaun,

I may call one of our fellow members in the area. I transferred up here for a job, but the rents are killing me. I'm sub-leasing in Cleveland Park. I was recommended to try to find a place in Roslindale, Jamaica Plains, Medford, Malden or Dorchester to get something within my budget. I don't know whether they are safe neighborhoods or not, but I can check on-line. I'd really like to find someone that knows the area well so they can give me some insight on all this since I came from "suburbia" CT.

Cleveland Park in Roxbury near Dudley Square?

All the places you listed are relatively nice areas. Dorchester is the only one you have to worry about. It has had lots of parts improve in recent years but some places are still a bit more sketchy.

To be honest for personal impressions every place you listed (other than those sketchy parts of Dorchester) are nicer safer areas than you are in now. They also are all probably MORE expensive. Dorchester (possibly even the nicer areas) is on par and maybe a little cheaper. Malden might be in the same ball park but that is because it is a bit farther out of the city and won't have as good of access (Medford would be similar but you have rent pressure from Tufts students).

Where do you work exactly? If you are close now if you move to Medford or Malden you might only be going 10-12 miles away but could easily add an hour to your commute if you drive.

Hi Mike, yes I will speak to them as the students for the school I work for also need to secure housing. I will also check craigslist, but of course am a bit hesitant about going that route. I'll just be careful if I do, as I'm alone here in Boston.

I'd love to rental that Brookline Village condo that keeps popping up in our discussions, but it's obviously for sale rather than for rent, but it sounds nice and right in the range I'm looking for. Maybe I'll check and see if that complex has any rents available or call the listing agent who is in our group about it. Thanks for your advice!

Nancy

Shaun, thanks for providing so much info! I will avoid Dorchester. I'm working at 10 Brookline Place in Brookline Village, so I'm open to anything either within walking distance or either the bus or metro that gets me close to there. I have been taking the green line from Cleveland Park, but there is nothing here. I spent the afternoon yesterday in Coolidge Corner which I really enjoyed. Everything is there and it seems like a middle class neighborhood. I'm trying to avoid the "college towns". Maybe Medford or Malden are options for me, but the parking is outrageous, so I'd rather be on a metro line and not fight the traffic. You were wonderful sending all that detail! Nancy

@nancy molinari Dorchester some neighborhood are rough not all. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.