• Rental Property Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
How to Avoid Renting to Smokers

Angie B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Posted May 7 2014, 19:56

Turning over a property where a tenant smoked inside the last few months (once she decided she was going to move out). After taking out carpet, scrubbing the nicotine off of the bathroom ceiling and walls, and painting it with BIN primer, I have done a lot of thinking. I do NOT want to rent to any more smokers. Period.

Our lease states that if anyone smokes inside the property that they will forfeit their security deposit and pay for any resulting damages.

Our application used to simply ask- Do you smoke Y/N? Our tenant lied. So now our application says Do you smoke Y/N? If yes, Indoors or Outdoors? - I'm hoping that will help people be more honest.

I have advertised it as a non-smoking property. My husband used to do the showings, but now I will- I have a better nose for sniffing it out. In the screening process, I plan to ask nonchalantly, oh I forgot, do you smoke indoors or outdoors? (like it is assumed that they smoke, so maybe they will be honest)

Any other ideas? I thought about always "forgetting" some non-essential paperwork and running out to their car to hand it to them, maybe try to lean in the window to see what I can see or smell.

Loading replies...