Rental needs furnace and ac... What's the best way to do this

10 Replies

Quoted $5400 for everything in Michigan... I'm 200 miles away from the property so convenience is good too... What do current landlords spend on a Ac and furnace for a 1100 sq fr SFH??

Thanks all!!

Assuming you're just replacing the furnace (aka "air handler), A-coil (evaporator) and condenser (outside part) that seem like a lot. Get some more bids. For that kind of cash I'd be taking a road trip to be sure its really necessary, unless you're very confident of your people on the ground.

Originally posted by @Drew Denham :
Quoted $5400 for everything in Michigan...
Thanks all!!

Dang! After taxes how many years of cash flow does that equal?

I would be happier in the $3,700 - $4,000 ballpark. It is a small home and if it is well insulated if might not even be that much.

Hard to say what's fair without knowing what you've got. Is your current duct work in place and in good condition? Does the quote include anything besides replacing the units and thermostat? Are you sure both units need replacing? How old are they?

I got quotes last year for replacing the furnace and the AC unit in a 1400 square foot house built in the late 1990s. The high end quote was $6K. The low end was $3800. The diagnostics showed lots of life left in the attic furnace but it had a rusted out condensation pan that supposedly couldn't be removed or replaced. And I was told the condenser was shot by both vendors. I found a furnace guy who works for rehabbers. He fabricated a new pan and replaced a shot king valve on the AC for a total of $1K. I sold the house for over asking and paid for a home warranty plan.

Get more quotes.

The equipment is all pretty much the same. At least 80% of the value is the quality of the installation. A hack can install even the very best equipment so that it will be troublesome.

stephen
------------

Quoted $5400 for everything in Michigan... I'm 200 miles away from the property so convenience is good too... What do current landlords spend on a Ac and furnace for a 1100 sq fr SFH??
Thanks all!!

That's too much. I found a guy who's day job is hvac and he does this after hours. I put a new furnace that is 80 percent in January. I bought the furnace for 475 he installed it for 300. Took him about 4 hrs

Only problem is I have to do a rain dance to get him to come out. He is that busy

@Account Closed

Furnace and ac are from 1983!!! House is rented at 945 a month and to a good tenant... I guess I'll get another bid

K. Marie Poe
Furnace and ac are from 1983!!! House is rented at 945 a month and to a good tenant... I guess I'll get another bid

I sold a house, an as-is fixer, to owner occupants in December with its original furnace from 1979. The thermostat had been taken so I had it replaced, so the furnace guy serviced and inspected it. It was working perfectly. The furnace guy said he's never seen one that old without some kind of crack. No ACs in that town though. One of the benefits of a truly temperate climate.

Hey Drew- we've done quite a few New Furnace/ AC installations in similar houses to yours in the last couple of years. We pay around $3200. It's a mid sized/ reliable/ insured, etc. company that does them for us. We receive some sort of volume discount since we use this company so much. You can get it done cheaper but to me it's worth paying a little more for consistent, good and on time work. Good Luck!

Mike Dundon