Votes
Parul S.
  • New York, Ny
Votes |
Inspection report - To buy or not to buy

Parul S.
  • New York, Ny
Posted May 12 2014, 05:46

I have agreed to buy my first SFH investment property from a TK (turnkey) and just received the inspection report. The SFH is 60 years old but was represented as being "fully rehabbed". The inspection report is concerning on the items it raises as well as the overall quality of work.

I have a few questions to consider on my next steps:

1) How to proceed on this property – if I ask the seller to fix the items, how do I trust the quality of work, given the overall quality of the “fully rehabbed” house?

2) If I proceed on this property – do I trust the seller to also be the property manager (as is currently the plan)?

3) I was planning to purchase another SFH from this TK – do I go ahead with that, given the shoddy quality of this rehab?

4) Do I just walk away from the seller altogether and consider myself lucky to have dodged a bullet (s)?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated - thank-you!

Key items from Inspection report pasted below:

MAJOR CONCERNS

- Major Concern, Repair: The installation of the window on the 2nd floor at the rear wall is low quality. Further evaluation is recommended for repair/replacement options. Hidden damage may exist.

- Major Concern: Inspection of the electrical system revealed the need for numerous repairs. These should be high priority for safety reasons. Unsafe electrical conditions represent a shock hazard. A licensed electrician should be consulted for further evaluation and to undertake the repairs recommended.

- Major Concern, Safety Issue: It is recommended that the obsolete and poor-condition knob-and-tube wiring in the basement be replaced. Further evaluation of the older wiring system is recommended prior to settlement.

SAFETY ISSUES

- Safety Issue: The masonry chimney should be cleaned to help assure safe, effective operation.

- Safety Issue: It is suspected that the batteries in the smoke detectors are defunct. This should be investigated.

- Safety Issue: The installation of 10 year smoke detectors inside and outside sleeping areas is recommended with none removable Lithium batteries, along with CO2 detectors within 15 feet of a sleeping area. This is recommended by the city of Philadelphia. See city codes and regulations.

- Safety Issue: There is insufficient clearance between the baseboard heater and stored items and furniture. This is a fire hazard. These conditions should be corrected.

- Safety Issue: The discharge piping serving the Temperature and Pressure Relief (TPR) Valve for the water heater should terminate not less than 6 inches or more than 24 inches above the floor.

- Safety Issue: The openings in the in the basement stairway railing are large enough to allow a child to fall through. It is recommended that this condition be altered for improved safety.

REPAIR ITEMS

- Repair: Some of the stone work mortar at the foundation wall was removed for the water piping. Proper preparation and pointing is recommended to avoid further deterioration and possible water penetration. Repairs are recommended by a qualified individual.

- Repair: More extensive than common wall cracks were observed at the rear of the house. Further evaluation and repairs are recommended to prevent additional damage.

- Repair: The flashing on the bump out should be properly sealed to avoid leaks. Further evaluation and repairs are recommended by a qualified individual.

- Repair: The masonry chimney crown is cracking. Recommend repair to prevent additional damage. Repairs are recommended by a qualified individual. Additionally a chimney cap is recommended. It is recommended that the entire flue be inspected by a qualified individual at this time.

- Repair, Monitor: The gutters on the front porch do not appear to have sufficient slope to drain properly. If they do not perform as intended, the slope should be adjusted to avoid spilling roof runoff around the building – a potential source of water entry or water damage. Debris should be removed from the roof surface to prevent premature wear and proper drainage.

- Repair: Pointing of deteriorated mortar between the bricks of the exterior walls is advisable throughout to prevent further deterioration (front and rear).

- Repair: Damaged brickwork at the rear wall should be repaired to preserve the wall.

- Repair: The loose siding at the front porch roof line should be re-secured to avoid wind-damage and varmint/pest entry and moisture intrusion...

(followed by 2 more pages of Repair Items)

Loading replies...