Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Stephen E.
  • St Thomas, Ontario
Votes |
Leasing Ups and Downs

Stephen E.
  • St Thomas, Ontario
Posted May 13 2014, 18:34

So I have been trying to lease two properties. Great success on one, just leased to a long term tenant for $100 extra each month over the last tenant's rent. The other property is not going so well. I have had many showings, it is just that no one connected. I had one applicant who had an account with a former landlord sent to collections (!), then two applicants who had great credit but then decided on something cheaper. I had been asking for $40 more than the last tenant ($1149 vs $1109) on a two bed townhouse in a nice area. No one has taken it and I have been at it since late March. Price is now cut to $1119 and I have two new would be tenants for showings, both of whom detail their having large (80lb+) dogs. I would not normally pursue them but my wife suggests we should take a look. I am concerned about damage, she is concerned about revenue. Our current tenants are breaking a lease and they move out in June; we have been paid up until June 30. If there is vacancy beyond this I can go after them in small claims. But they gave notice in March and we could go for a while at this rate with no tenant. I have cut price and I have upped advertising. Any other suggestions? Should I be looking at tenants no matter what size of hound they want to bring in? The unit is really nice, freshly painted, new carpets, new appliances. It is not a matter of condition, and price is now only nominally above the last tenant's rent. I would like someone who looks after it and does not wear it out. Advice welcomed.

Loading replies...