50% rule / Quick Analysis calculator for rental property

50% rule / Quick Analysis calculator for rental property

Investor · Allentown, PA · Member since 2012 · 73 posts · 18 votes

Does anyone have a spreadsheet calculator for a quick analysis on rental & small multi-unit property? It seems like the easiest and fastest way to evaluate an investment property is by the 50% rule. I am still primarily a wholesaler so I am looking for a tool to help me evaluate rental property quickly. Does anyone have a 50% rule calculator that they would not mind sharing? It would be GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks guys!

0Reply
73 views

Most Popular Reply

Buy-and-Hold Rental Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2015 · 438 posts · 352 votes
11y

Here's a quick 50% rule, %-of-rent, cash flow, and cap rate calculator anyone can use on Google sheets: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIQLzdHQeG...

I didn't lock it; anyone can edit it. Please don't change the formulas or it won't work for the next person; download it and use it offline if you want to change/add to it. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Where we are parked · Member since 2013 · 584 posts · 178 votes
    12y

    Hi Martin,

    Not sure exactly what you're looking for as far as information to enter but check out the Bigger Pockets calculators to see if they will give you what you're looking for:

    www.biggerpockets.com/calc

    I have a good iPhone app but it's not free.

    Eric Black

  • Investor · Allentown, PA · Member since 2012 · 73 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    Hey Eric,

    Thanks for your reply but I had already looked into that source. I just wanted a simple excel spreadsheet calculator to evaluate rental property quickly around the 50% rule. I was able to create one myself and if anyone else is look for something like this, I am willing to share. Thanks.

  • Buy-and-Hold Rental Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2015 · 438 posts · 352 votes
    11y

    Here's a quick 50% rule, %-of-rent, cash flow, and cap rate calculator anyone can use on Google sheets: 

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIQLzdHQeG...

    I didn't lock it; anyone can edit it. Please don't change the formulas or it won't work for the next person; download it and use it offline if you want to change/add to it. 

  • Buy-and-Hold Rental Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2015 · 438 posts · 352 votes
    11y

    Here's an Excel Online version of the same thing:

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E4D54BDF2F76...

    Again, please don't change the formulas and break it for the next guy: Just enter text in the yellow cells and read the results elsewhere. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    If your looking to go based on the 50% rule you can quickly do it without any tools.

    Monthly rent x6 = Your 50% rule NOI

    NOI divided by aquisition cost = cap rate.

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    If your looking to go based on the 50% rule you can quickly do it without any tools.

    Monthly rent x6 = Your 50% rule NOI

    NOI divided by aquisition cost = cap rate.

    James your 50% includes capex so you would not have even a guesstimated NOI.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes
    7y

    Does anyone know of a calculator that will tell you how much you can pay for a property based on the 50% rule? The link I have to an old one is dead but I loved it. You put in 50% of gross income for expenses, then put in what you desired per door for cash flow. The calculator would then tell you what your maximum price for the building would be based on all cash. It was really handy to double check myself. 

    This is the old link: http://www.escapesomewhere.com/cgi-bin/real_estate...

    If anyone can come up with the formula, I'll make one in excel and share it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.