Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Scott Demots
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Tenants in Duplex Not Getting Along- Suggestions?

Scott Demots
  • Milwaukee, WI
Posted May 29 2014, 17:37

Hello all,

Have a co-existing problem with my tenants and would greatly appreciate some insight on how to handle the situation.

The situation - Lisa and her son Bill (30 yrs) live in the lower unit. Tom, Jody (married) and there two younger children live upstairs, with a dog and two cats.

The tenants have lived in the duplex for the last eight months. There were problems at the beginning in the first month. The start of it was about not picking up after the dog. Next was doing laundry late at night and then came the nit picking.

I spoke with both tenants, the dog issue is pretty cut and dry, clean up after your pet. In regards to the other problems I said we're all adults and should be considerate of each other. I suggested that if there were any future problems they should talk with each other or contact me if needed.

A few months went by and there were more problems, they didn't inform me. Resentments grew and communication was non-existent, the problem was handle by avoiding each other and trying to tolerate things. Well you can imagine how well that worked out.

Today I was called by both tenants, things have reached a head and tempers flared. The dog who is never kept on a leash bit Bill, who in turn kicked the dog and it was on. Bill had words with Jody and insulted her, her children, and her family. Jody got in Bill's face, Bill said if you lay a hand on me I'll pepper spray you. Jody pushed him, he didn't spray her, but called me.

I listened to his account of the incident. Jody called me and I listened to hers. I suggested both parties document their accounts of the situation for my records.

In speaking with Jody I said it seems pretty clear at this point that there seems to be only one reasonable solution. I recounted the history of ongoing problems over the last 7 months and mentioned that today's incident is only going to make the situation worse. I mentioned my concern that things had gotten physical and don't want something more serious to occur.

At this point I informed both tenants that I would be consulting with an attorney. But I feel the only solution is for one of the tenants to move out. I said I would get back to them on Friday with a decision on how to handle the situation.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions, Scott

Loading replies...