• Homeowner
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Newbie help: which tenant do I choose?

Lisa G.
  • Homeowner
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Jun 9 2014, 16:21

Okay, so the first tenant I chose (who had perfect credit and a clean criminal history) did not end well-stopped paying rent after 4 months-some neighbors mentioned to me they were not very favorable neighbors (they almost called the police on them several times). So I'm gun shy picking the next tenant. 

I have decided on 2 families, but can't choose:

Family 1-Divorced (long ago) father of a 21 YO son sold their house. Father has had his job for 25 years, perfect credit. Son works, has good credit-for a 21 YO. They would like to move in on the 22nd, and can pay pro-rated rent but not the deposit, he can pay the deposit when the house closes on the 27th.  

Family 2-newly married older couple, she has custody of her teenage niece and has been raising her since she was a baby. Wife had bankruptcy after her divorce 9 years ago. She has had her job for the last 2 years. Husband has had his job for 5 years, but also has wage garnishments from 2 years ago from credit card bills (fairly large debt). They want to move in this weekend and have the money for deposit and pro-rated rent. They brought copies of their pay stubs for me when they came to look at the house. 

I have offered both families to start the lease on whatever day they move in or to pay a pro-rated rent. Both can pay July rent on the 1st. 

My screening service runs credit, criminal, and residence- both families' scores are very close. I like both families. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

Loading replies...