AirBnB and HOA Restrictions on Leases

5 Replies

Hello BiggerPockets!

I am currently under contract with a condo in North Palm Beach Florida that restricts the ability to lease within the first year of owning the property. A financial advisor asked me about AirBnB as a possible solution, as there is no formal lease. Has anyone encountered this as an option? I am thinking about trying this and asking for forgiveness rather then permission.

Won't work, leasing is leasing, with or without a written lease with the tenant.  Especially with multiple short term tenants.

There is a lot of good deals like this in south florida .I would like to know if there is a way around it. 

@David Paul: I agree with @Wayne Brooks: Won't work! And further:

"asking for forgiveness" from a South Florida HOA or Condo

Association usually gets you added legal fees for the " repercussions"

of " Skirting" the Community By-Laws and/or Rules and Regulations.

The use of a "device" as you propose also opens you up to

action from your " Occupant" for both your failure to provide the BnB

and their Experiences and trauma after being found" In residence"

without Board Approval!

Most Associations here have good Legal Resources! Especially for Enforcement of Existing By-laws, Rules and Regulations.

Best bet : Look at "Warehousing" expenses for the year and Offer

accordingly, or Look for comparable Communities without such

restriction.

@Robert Brubaker

To make the @ work, do the following:

Hold down the shift key and type @?

Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.

Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.

If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, type the @ and the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.

Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.

Raymond

@Robert Brubaker is correct, your HOA could decide to drag you over the coals for this.

Imagine the board thinking about the possibility of a Triple X freak fest (NSFW) happening in the development, while you're asking for forgiveness. 

Did you go though with the deal?

-Evan

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here