• Homeowner
  • Havertown, PA
Votes |
WWYD? Landlord rejected high-income tenant due to lack of credit

Kris Taylor
  • Homeowner
  • Havertown, PA
Posted Jul 4 2014, 09:34

Someone I know (31 y/o) was just turned away from a rental property because she hasn't established enough credit in her adult life.

Background: This woman comes from a lot of money. Her father has done very well, and for her entire adult life has paid her way. He's given her a car paid with cash, signed & paid for for her apartments through grad school, and always given her direct deposited funds for living expenses. Now, she works as a nurse, making $50k a year for the past 12 mos and recently applied for an apartment rental. She was declined for poor (almost non-existent credit). Also, she has one unpaid medical bill from the past 18 mos that father was going to pay & forgot. It went to collections.

The father then offered to co-sign for his daughter, but it turns out HE has a low credit score. He has paid cash for all houses and cars since around 1997. Since he just started working as an independant contractor after a 15yr work-hiatus, he had to provide a bank statement to landlord as proof of available funds -- and did so, with a statement showing over $500,000 liquid cash in just one instituation. However, the father has a bad credit score, too. Why? Well, He recently short-sold a $4million vacation home in the past year, and also hasn't used credit in over 20 years due to having means. However, he is terrible at paying bills on time (because he lets mail pile up for weeks on end & and one time even had his electricity get shut off on his 7,000 square foot beach house ....because he didn't pay the bill on time.)

Despite the father's proof of cash though, the landlord rejected her application.

Mind you -- the woman now has a steady job  & income. And she has no criminal history. And has never been late with payments when she's rented other places.

My question is...WWYD? Do you deny rentals to wealthy young adults who might have unestablished credit histories? Just wondering if wealth ever trumps poor or non-existant credit in any scenerio. (Trust me, I know wealthy tenants can still be awful tenants....just curious if this landlord's no-excuses credit requirements are standard practice in some areas). 

Loading replies...