Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
Should I advertise a 4 BR rental townhouse as a 3 BR unit or a 4 BR unit?

Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Posted Jul 14 2014, 15:33

I'm looking for feedback and opinions:

I have just acquired 2 units that are configured as 3-story townhouses 1500 SF each, in a side by side setup with full basements and private fenced yards and private driveways.  I don't have experience with large 3 or 4 bedroom units.   I was told when I bought the building that they were not "legal" 4 bedroom units, and could only be used as 2 bedroom units with "bonus rooms".  

The fire department has just inspected the units and blessed my use of the 2 bedrooms on the 3rd floor as sleeping bedrooms and stated that egress is sufficient and the building meets all the requirements of the code to be rented as 4 bedroom units.  They are putting it in writing.  

Now for the marketing aspect to my question.  I have been told that advertising the units as 4 bedroom units will attract a different class of tenant than I am looking for, (I don't accept section 8) and that I should never advertise them as more than 3 bedroom units.  The neighborhood is middle class and I would feel comfortable living there.  

Anyone have any experience with advertising 3 BRs rather than 4 BRs?  And do you agree or disagree with the statement that I should not advertise them as 4BR units?

Thanks, everyone.

Loading replies...