Votes
Gabe G.
  • Greenwood, IN
Votes |
First possession/eviction hearing today/ question inside

Gabe G.
  • Greenwood, IN
Posted Jul 15 2014, 15:57

I had my first immediate possession/eviction hearing today.

The judge ordered the tenant out by Monday the 21st, and then set a damages hearing for August, tenant wasnt happy of course.

I inspected the place yesterday. No major damages, but all kinds of stuff, random people living there, that werent authorized, carpet, stains, and cleaning needed at the least.

By the time the tenant moves out, they will owe me about 1300 in rent/late fees.

I have a 1k security deposit, that I will be keeping.

Considering it is always hard to recover money from tenants, especially degenerate ones, would it make sense, to offer to the tenant, if the place is cleaned, the keys and garage door opener is left, and all stuff is removed, and you are out by the 21st per the judges order(not by a sheriff the next day) that I will drop the damages hearing?

To me this is a win/win, this saves me the time/money to have a sheriff come out, it gives him an incentive to not put a sledgehammer through walls, or cause damages, and to him, it prevents a judgement on his credit report, it saves him hundreds of dollars in a judgement, and possibly even will prevent, the eviction from coming up on future landlord screens(which is something I don't like, as these type of people and their actions need to be public record).

Thoughts?

Loading replies...