Best towel bars and bathroom fixtures?

11 Replies

I used to have a ton of problems when I bought cheap fixtures for bathrooms. Towel bars always got loose or broke off. 

Anyone out there using bathroom fixtures that are inexpensive but indestructible? Could you make a recommendation on brand and retailer? Thanks.

Home Depot's "contractor grade" fixtures are Glacier Bay.  I've used them over and over for clients and they look & hold up great.  Of course, the homeowners I've worked for don't do pullups on towel bars or use the toilet paper holders as assist handles.  Beyond augmenting from negligent use, I recommend upgrading to beefier anchors during install.  Those little plastic blue/yellow/red push-in anchors included in the package are junk.  I never use them.  Instead, I use the E-Z Ancor screw-in anchors.  They have a 75-pound sheer capacity.  For the first time ever, your wall connection will not be the weak point in your towel bar.

you want undestructable? put a nice piece of wood between two studs (either below drywall or on top of drywall) and do one of these things..

I have yet to buy a rental but have already decided this is the direction I will go.  I have had walls damaged in my own home and have encountered the same problem visiting family & friends.  If they get stolen, it will come out of their security deposit.

You might just think of the cheap ones as easily replaceable.  I think it makes more sense to spend $5 every 3 years than spend $50 upfront for one that will last 10+ years.  Just my two cents.

Originally posted by @John K.:

You might just think of the cheap ones as easily replaceable. I think it makes more sense to spend $5 every 3 years than spend $50 upfront for one that will last 10+ years. Just my two cents.

Your right...the nice ones seem to disappear.

But I do like the @George P.  boutique design but maybe powder coated in matt black.

We replaced the toilet, lights & all fixtures etc in a bathroom we rehabbed. The OCD lady who then (& still) rents it replaced absolutely everything again at her expense. So I have spares for another property !!!

@George P.   LOVE your idea about adding a 2x4 cross member. I have all the bathrooms opened up right now so now is the perfect time. That will certainly insure that anything I put up has real wood to fix to and not just drywall anchors. 

Cast iron pipe looks super cool too.

If you have the walls open, think of going larger than 2x4 and use 2x8s or larger.  You could also install 3/4 plywood or kitchen metal (usually seen in commercial projects).  Either way, don't skimp, it gives you a wider spot to hit.  Also add blocking to where you might think of adding future grab bars in the tub/shower.  You have the flexibility now and it's a cheap add.  Just don't use drywall screws to attach the blocking.  They're brittle.

I like the idea of those metal pipe rods

Check this hardened bathroom I saw in Vegas house:) 

@Matt R.   are you sure you didn't visit a prison? nice pic. that toilet looks scary.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.