• Hampton Roads Va
Votes |
Section 8 landlord may face felony charges

Jose Garcia
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads Va
Posted Jul 30 2014, 16:42

good evening everyone! 

I have a question which I was asked and since I'm not a lawyer or have experience this maybe someone on BP has.

Tenant been in the property since 2009. She signed a one yr lease at the sum of 1300 after that lease has expired the tenant became a Sec 8 tenant  (I believe during the year lease) then went month to month. Now the trickey part is according to Sec 8, the tenant was allowed 1000.00 for property tenant paid 600 and sec 8 paid the 400. The issue is the property manager was still charging 1300 which it's more than sec 8 approved. Tenant signed a contract with the property manager stating she would pay 1300 now in my opinion that's illegal on both parties. Fast fwd 5 yrs later tenant has moved out. Tenant has late fees dating for over a year and now is pursuing the deposit.  Tenant basically told the owner if they dont refund the deposit they would report to sec 8 that they were paying 1300 vice the 1000 like sec 8 approved.  I believe it's a felony but I'm not a lawyer

Loading replies...