Votes
Kate Elson
  • Weymouth, MA
Votes |
When to start eviction proceedings

Kate Elson
  • Weymouth, MA
Posted Aug 19 2014, 11:05

I have a tenant on the second floor of a duplex on a month to month lease.  For various reasons I have decided to end the tenancy and gave the tenant notice that I would not renew the lease at the end of the next rental period (6 weeks notice). 

The apartment is filthy, the police are by on a regular basis, the hallways (common area) and completely blocked with stuff and a fire hazard, and she recently flooded the bathroom causing significant damage to the bathroom in the first floor unit.  My good tenant on the first floor is thinking of moving because they are tired of dealing with this. 

We delivered notice this past weekend and had not heard from the tenant.  Monday morning my first floor tenant called to ask if we had work going on in the basement and that it sounded like someone was cutting pipe.  She said it sounded exactly like when we upgraded the heating system recently. 

My first floor tenant heard the people in the basement, heard them go upstairs to the second floor unit, come back to the  basement and watched them come out of the basement with bags of pipe.  They managed to cut all the drain lines and any empty pipe that was in the basement and some rebar and spare plumbing pipe that was down there but did not disable any of the systems.  We called the police and they actually got names from my 2nd floor tenant, who admitted they were her friends and had stayed at the apartment the night before but she of course had no idea they were doing that in the basement. 

I'm wondering if I can now try to get her out sooner or do I still have to wait out the notice.  She's current on rent since her Mother sends me a check every month, but she's responsible for the actions of her guests and this is theft and malicious destruction of property. 

I would rather start proceedings now if I can rather than wait until the end of September.

The property is in Massachusetts

Loading replies...