Utilities

4 Replies

Depends on the building. For multifamily buildings landlords typically pay water/sewer and electricity for common areas (basements, stairwells, exteriors, etc.) If the entire building is heated from a single boiler, landlords pay that bill too. 

Tenants pay for anything separated for their unit (usually gas and electricity). 

Promotion
Invex Capital Group
Real Estate Syndication
Cashflow Your Way to Freedom!
Invex Cap is a Texas based Real Estate Syndication that focuses on cash flowing real estate
Join today!

In my rental (two flat) I do not pay for the gas or electricity, instead I had the tenant call the utility company and sign themselves up for that.  This only works if you have separate meters for the two floors for both the gas and electricity.I think this is a better way to go (for me at least) because you have no control on how the tenants use these utilities and could be capable of leaving lights,AC,TV's Heat etc. on for unnecessary periods of time which in the end could become a large variable cost.   But I do have to pay the water every 6 months but that is not metered so I get charged a set amount no matter how much water is used (still need to determine if it would benefit me adding a water meter or not). So it usually depends on the landlord. Some may not have the tenant pay utilities directly and instead the landlord pays the bill but would make sure to charge sufficient monthly rent to cover for those costs.

Hope this helps

For SFH/townhomes that are metered totally separately, they usually pay for all utilities. But, the water is typically I the end the responsibility of the landlord if the tenant doesn't pay, and just found in one suburb its the same for trash removal.