Deleading

10 Replies

I have a two family property under agreement in Massachusetts.  I believe it will attract renters with young kids.  From searching the database, it has never been inspected for lead (no records).  Is it recommended that I delead it?  What are the risks / rewards others have seen from deleading or choosing not to delead?  Thanks.

Do you have an inspection on it that includes Lead?

If so test for it since if it is there they will have to disclose it to future buyers.

The benefits are that it will be more attractive to families with young kids, if you are thinking of doing section 8 you won't be able to without lead certs and if there ever is a problem with a kid there and it isn't deleaded you can get sued.

I don't really have any interest in anything bigger than 2BR in MA if it isn't deleaded, or I plan on doing it.  Even 2BR is iffy, 1BR and studio is safer for that but no guarantee.

Thanks, that's helpful.  If I get it inspected for lead, then does it become public record?  What do you think is an average cost of deleading a two unit property (2,500 sq. ft) in MA?

Originally posted by @Robert Menn:

Thanks, that's helpful.  If I get it inspected for lead, then does it become public record?  What do you think is an average cost of deleading a two unit property (2,500 sq. ft) in MA?

There is a state database and while I don't know all the ins and outs of it I believe that a licensed inspector has to submit their reports to the state and local authorities.  So no sellers getting it tested and then just not reporting it.

I have not deleaded a place like that so I can't give you a good ball park on it.

Originally posted by @Robert Menn:

It depends entirely on the amount and nature of the lead. I'm deleading a property I bought in Boston which has minimal lead (none in one unit, very little in another). It's still going to cost about $5 - $6,000. It's not cheap. Unfortunately, it seems like in MA, you can be held liable for any lead-based illness and you cannot claim ignorance of the lead issue.

Basically if when rented you can't just claim you don't know it has lead. The best approach is to get it tested for lead with a lead inspector and de-lead the unit.

Landlords can become certified to de-lead and I myself am certified but I can only do my own properties. If your interested it only took me two (2) 8 hours classes to get my certifications.

Also there is a $1500 tax credit in MA for each unit that you de-lead.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

@Mike Hoefling   You're looking at a huge fine if you don't give your Tenants the blue Lead Form, where you can check:

i Known

ii Owner has no knowledge

@Mike Hurney I think you are talking about the "Tenant Lead Law Notification" and "Tenant Certification Form" that goes along with it. But I agree 100% at a bare minimum you have to give this notification form to your tenants and check the applicable boxes. 

All I was saying is that even if you fill the form out and get tenants signature with the box checked that says "Owner has no knowledge of lead" that does not protect you if you have a child under 6 in one of your units.

@Robert Menn  

I believe the issue extends if you rent to a grandmother who has the kids come over you could be liable for lead. Years ago I recall a provision for special needs young adults as well.

Paul

Thank you all - very helpful.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.