small strip of wall next to the tub is molding

11 Replies

all these old houses have the same issue. the wall is 2" deeper than the tub and you cant put tiles there to prevent drywall damage.

you fix the drywall and it comes back. i am guessing the tub has a slight pitch and that's why the splashing water is rolling towards the outuside of the tub.

see the picture.

the corner guard is not helping, as you can see

anywhere to fix it? i have this issue on two houses.

Hi George,

Why can't you put tile on the drywall? 

My other suggestion would be to look into getting one of those tub/shower inserts that just goes over the existing structure but it's typically one solid piece. When it is installed you can correct any leveling issues.

Best of luck!

Eric

Originally posted by @Eric Black:

Hi George,

Why can't you put tile on the drywall? 

My other suggestion would be to look into getting one of those tub/shower inserts that just goes over the existing structure but it's typically one solid piece. When it is installed you can correct any leveling issues.

Best of luck!

Eric

the current insert is in very good condition, so i am not replacing/touching it. even if i put a few small tiles on the vertical strip, the water will still pop them out over time. i need a solution to keep the water from rolling out of the tub.

@George P.

I don't understand why that corner guard won't work. You might try really high grade caulk and adhesive in one, like for putting up shower surrounds.

You also should re-caulk that whole shower. Water might be getting behind your surround and running behind the corner guard to drywall.

Good luck.

Remove the drywall and replace it with cement board. Skim coat, prime and paint.

Additionally, you might look into a curved shower rod. This brings the curtain out to a different angle that seems to help repel water.

Ohh... and try not to use the word "mold" with residents- it is just mildew. ;) Folks freak out when they hear the word mold.

I have older houses and have had similiar issues. I went and bought a vinyl garage door frame seal. It is about 7/16" thick and 1.5"-2" wide ane has the rubber seal flap on it. I cut off the rubber seal flap and install that from the top of the baseboard to the top of the tub surround.  Then silicone the seams. I get the one with a woodgrain finish and in white vinyl.It looks great and keeps the water away. Hope that works for you as it looks like it should.

Originally posted by @Kyle Hipp:

I have older houses and have had similiar issues. I went and bought a vinyl garage door frame seal. It is about 7/16" thick and 1.5"-2" wide ane has the rubber seal flap on it. I cut off the rubber seal flap and install that from the top of the baseboard to the top of the tub surround.  Then silicone the seams. I get the one with a woodgrain finish and in white vinyl.It looks great and keeps the water away. Hope that works for you as it looks like it should.

Can you please post a pic?

George, I looked through all my pictures on my phone and couldn't find one. However I also texted my tenant and when she gets home this evening she will take a picture and send it to me and I will post.

I would also suggest pvc trim.  This is resistant to mildew.  I would trim out entire tub and tub surround for a better look.

@Kyle Hipp  

thanks. that looks really sharp, btw. you dont even need a tile edge trim when you use it. that tile is really nice.

it was my second tub surround that I tiled so I had a little practice by then. I thought it did turn out pretty nice. Now the blue tile is a winter project over there. That goes behind the sink and is the late 70's early 80's plastic tiles.... yuck!! Hope it does the trick for you.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here