Washer/Dryer in Townhome Rental

7 Replies

My wife and I are moving and are going to be renting our current home, it is a 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath townhome.

I was looking to get suggestions from some more experience landlords on whether or not to leave our washer/dryer for our tennants.

The home we have recently purchased does not have a washer/dryer so we would need to purchase a new one if we left our current ones in our rental (they are only about 2.5 years old).

Thanks!

Really depends on what is normally included for a rental in your area. If a washer/dryer is typical in that type of rental, leave them behind.

I would leave them behind, it is easier to rent with them on site.  Look at your area and see what appliances are included normally.  Consider if there is  usually a washer dryer in units in your complex.   Consider if you want people moving a W/D in/ out of your  unit if you have turnover. What does it rent for, higher rent tends to be more likely to have this included. If they were older I would recommend leaving but not including them as provided and specifying that if they broke you will not replace. With newer appliances I would call them included and fix them if broken. In the end it depends on the customs in your area I think.

Like they stated look at what your surrounding competition is doing. If you do decide to include a washer and dryer and you like the ones you have just take them with you and go get some cheap basic ones from craigslist. Like Colleen said, I have it in the lease that I do not repair or replace if they break and they cannot be removed without my permission.

@Luke Andrew  - washer and dryer are not included. Show it with yours in place and offer to rent a washer and dryer to them for $30 per month for the set. Buy a used set off Craig's list for $200. Some will go buy their own which is no problem but some will rent and after about 7 months the set is paid for and the rest is gravy.

When I started out, this meant the difference between paying the mortgage and not. I didn't have BP then so didn't know about the 2% rule or the 50% rule or even the 1% rule.

I provide them in my rentals.  All of my sets have come off craigslist.  Occasionally the dryer needs a new belt in a year or two, but that has been about it.  Helps to get them rented easier.  

I agree with everyone else. If your market generally includes them then so would I. I would keep mine though and just add a cheaper set  you find on CL.

When I moved out of my house and made it a rental, I did the opposite. Brought the existing 4 year old appliances with me and bought new (albeit somewhat cheaper) ones forthe rental. I'd rather have the repair guy at my house than get called by my tenants.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here