Should I accept this tenant

6 Replies

Hi all,

I have a potential tenant who had credit issues years ago.  I normally charge two months deposit for tenants with bad credits, but they told me they can't fork up so much money at this time.  Should I accept them with just one month's deposit?  Is there any other thing I can do to help prevent future problems?  The house is in an A-/B area.

Thanks a lot!

you sound like me not too long ago....... i so wish I would of held out for renters with better credit..... late every (EVERY) month atleast a week or two..... have to constantly call to get rent..... willing to bet that the one month deposit i made them give up front will ( in their head) be the rent i dont get before they move out.

Thanks a lot for your comments!  I will pass on this tenant.

Bad credit does not mean they want to pay their rent.

Joe Gore

I place all my tenants on a month to month lease regardless of how great their credit is and it has worked well for me with zero evictions for 9 years now.

It would probably be better to stick to your rule since it seems to be working for you. 

Best of luck! 

@Kenneth Davis

You are a very educated landlord and if ever a landlord saw it like you do they would be better off.

Joe Gore

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.