New tenant immediatly changed his cell number after signing lease

New tenant immediatly changed his cell number after signing lease

Real Estate Investor · Glen Saint Mary, FL · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 9 votes

Each new tenant I sign a lease with, always give me a new challenge to face. I recently signed a tenant on a month to month lease whom informed me that he will be changing his cell phone number hours after signing the lease with me. He also informed me that he maintains a seperate mailing address for his mail which he did not provide me a copy of.

   I have had other tenants change their number but provide me a new number, a month or two after moving; so should I be concerned? He had an out of state number which he maintained through his previous lease I believe, with another local landlord; so I just wondered if this would raise a flag to any other landlords here? He did offer a reason to validate the number change: stating he had lots of enemies he wanted to avoid, "Personally talking to this tenant, he did not strike me as a trouble maker but rather very bookish and easy going." My tenant  screening service which I have trusted for 9 years now qualified him through their checks, despite my investigating discovered a previous landlord reference to be inacurrate by phone number which he seemed very apologetic about. What is a good time frame for me to wait for him to give me his new number? I plan going to his employer to confirm his number had been changed if they will cooperate with me or should I give him the 7 day notice to provide this information? Sorry for any mispellings I am notorious for my grammer. One other hair raiser about this guy to me was the fact that he was moving from a $450.00 rental too my $300.00 rental and said he could not afford the $40.00 transfer fee nor to have the financial ability for at least two weeks. He does drive and commute to work and I know he has to pay for gasoline. I took the power out of my name after the walk through inspection, so he is currently in the dark.

0Reply
117 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

To do my job, I need reliable contact information for all of our tenants. When tenants move in, we create a "Tenant Information Sheet" where we record tenant contact information, vehicle descriptions, and emergency contact information. How tenants prefer to communicate has been changing in recent years.  We discuss this with the tenants... "During your tenancy, we will need to contact you from time to time. What is your preferred means... home phone, mobile phone, work phone, text, email, post mail? We will need at least one way to contact you for immediate needs and at least one way to contact you for routine correspondence." Then take down the information you need. If the tenant gives you push back, assure them this information is kept confidential in their tenant file and is necessary. Don't wait for him to give you the new number, ask for it.  No need to call the employer; they are unlikely to reveal such information.

Also, remind the tenant that in the event he changes his contact information, he needs to notify you right away. You need to keep your records updated. With the frequency of phone number changes that people sometimes make, this has become a challenge for us. I am about to add another term to our rental agreement that will require the tenant to update the landlord in a timely manner of phone changes, vehicle changes, and emergency contact information changes.

We too use MTM rental agreements, which is good because it doesn't lock us in. In the event we need to change the rental agreement terms or need to move a tenant out, it is much easier to do so this way.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Why should you be concerned if he is changing his cell number? This look like he has to learn from landlords about providing a mail drop for all mail, and he has that right.


    Joe Gore

  • Real Estate Investor · Grand Junction, IA · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 51 votes
    12y
    This is the best person you could find? Everything seems shady about him. I would have told them to provide me with the number as soon as he gets it changed, the avoiding enemy's thing is really strange. I hope everything works out... But very questionable start.
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    worst that can happen is you get burned for 30 days..  be glad it's not 12 month lease 

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Honestly, the only thing that DOESN'T bother me about that story is that he changed his cell number, which doesn't seem problematic at all.  The rest...chances are he is just a bit nutty.  There are a lot of people like that out there and most are never a problem.  But if he really has "enemies"...

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    To do my job, I need reliable contact information for all of our tenants. When tenants move in, we create a "Tenant Information Sheet" where we record tenant contact information, vehicle descriptions, and emergency contact information. How tenants prefer to communicate has been changing in recent years.  We discuss this with the tenants... "During your tenancy, we will need to contact you from time to time. What is your preferred means... home phone, mobile phone, work phone, text, email, post mail? We will need at least one way to contact you for immediate needs and at least one way to contact you for routine correspondence." Then take down the information you need. If the tenant gives you push back, assure them this information is kept confidential in their tenant file and is necessary. Don't wait for him to give you the new number, ask for it.  No need to call the employer; they are unlikely to reveal such information.

    Also, remind the tenant that in the event he changes his contact information, he needs to notify you right away. You need to keep your records updated. With the frequency of phone number changes that people sometimes make, this has become a challenge for us. I am about to add another term to our rental agreement that will require the tenant to update the landlord in a timely manner of phone changes, vehicle changes, and emergency contact information changes.

    We too use MTM rental agreements, which is good because it doesn't lock us in. In the event we need to change the rental agreement terms or need to move a tenant out, it is much easier to do so this way.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I tell all my tenants at the lease up, the first and only time I ever intend to meet them, is that my #1 goal is that we never have to meet and hopefully talk again. Not sure why you think you need their number? 

    "Sorry for any mispellings I am notorious for my grammer." Now that you've identified the problem, you ought to do something about it. Grammar is the set of rules governing structure, not incorrect spelling. Two separate issues neither of which is worth bragging about, especially on a public forum.

    "One other hair raiser about this guy to me was the fact that he was moving from a $450.00 rental too my $300.00 rental and said he could not afford the $40.00 transfer fee nor to have the financial ability for at least two weeks."

    My motto, and one you might consider adopting; if you can't afford to keep it vacant, you can't afford to keep it. Dealing with rentals is drama enough. Why would you want to bring any more into your life? If it takes me months to find the right tenant, I'm more than happy to wait it out. When I do find the right tenant(s), he/she/they stay, pay and refer. That is who I'm looking for, not the loser you doesn't have $40 to his name. That person needs to move back home with mommy.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    The fact that he admitted to you that he had a lot of "enemies" would be a deal breaker for me. If you have a lot of enemies who call you all the time, that's because you owe them money. They're bill collectors. That being said, I'd just make an extra effort to show up at that property more often that I normally would, just to keep an eye on the place and build trust with the tenant.

  • Real Estate Investor · Glen Saint Mary, FL · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Thankyou everyone for the feedback. This tenant was the best of the bad apples for a property I have in Starke, Florida. I paid cash for the Starke property which is quadraplex that was foreclosed on 3 times by the previous owners; that probably should have been a clue, but for 28K it seemed like a steal at the time. This rental like some others of mine are C class more or less and so I call my tenants when rent is due to set a time for me to go their to collect the rent. This $300.00 rental in the quadraplex is a 1 Bedroom unit which I was the most readily available as the other units need cosmetic touch ups etc. I am greatful that he is on a MTM lease incase he turns out to be a problem. I will have to set up a tenant information sheet, I see, as the number change just seemed odd as it was his New York number on his cell during the whole year he was down in Florida. I probably have nothing to worry about I hope.

  • Real Estate Investor · Glen Saint Mary, FL · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    I also forgot to mention that this guy told me he would be hard to reach due to a sudden schedule change in his hours, I believe this happened the week of signing. I am pretty sure he will be my first eviction, "I hope I'm wrong!"

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.