Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Cal C.
  • Investor
  • Peachtree Corners, GA
Votes |
The Landlord is in charge the tenant is not!

Cal C.
  • Investor
  • Peachtree Corners, GA
Posted Sep 6 2014, 06:30

To most landlords (or landladies) out there the above statement is a flash of the blindingly obvious, but for some it is a very controversial statement.  Heck, I was accused of giving terrible advice when I posted it in a thread in which the landlord was being given instruction by the tenant as to when the landlord could access her property!  

I'm writing this post/thread because I strongly believe that letting the tenant be in charge is one of the key reasons why some landlords fail.  Unless it is a true partnership someone is always in charge in a business relationship. 

Yes. of course I believe in compromise and treating the tenant with a great deal of respect, they are helping you pay for the house after all. No, I don't believe it is my way or the highway except in certain cases, like the tenant not paying rent or not allowing access in a reasonable manner.  But when it comes right down to it, unless the landlord is in charge at least with most things in the relationship then there are going to be a lot of needless problems. Yes, of course I will sometimes accede to the tenants wishes when they are reasonable even if it hurts my income, because I believe in keeping the tenant satisfied. 

But back to the main point-Here are some of the ways, the landlord is very clearly in charge.  The landlord sets the rent (using the market as a guide), the landlord selects the tenant, the landlord selects the lease, the landlord chooses who will do a repair (even if it is the tenant), the landlord decides whether or not pets are allowed, openly or tacitly, the landlord decides whether to have a monthly or yearly agreement, the landlord decides when to replace the carpet, the landlord decides on whether or not to provide appliances (again using the market as a guide), I could go on and on, but the key point is that the landlord is making the vast majority of key decisions.  

I understand that some of you are not comfortable with the idea that the landlord is in charge, but you really are, despite whatever thinking you use to convince yourself that you are not.  I believe it provides a disservice to new landlords for them be told that they are somehow in some kind of equal partnership with the tenant.  Instead they need to learn to be flexible but firm and remember they are ultimately in charge.     

Bottomline- in most instances it is the landlord making the key decisions and whenever a tenant starts dictating things to the landlord there is likely going to be trouble.  

I thank Aldo (WI) for teaching me that point.   

Loading replies...