Votes
S. Perry
  • Central, OH
Votes |
Visiting dog in no-pet rental

S. Perry
  • Central, OH
Posted Sep 11 2014, 09:57

My SFH was rented with a no pets policy. If truth be told I would have considered a pet from a terrific prospective tenant if asked. This was not the case with current tenants.

Tenant is on a 2 year lease with a reduction in rent for the longer lease. Have had some irritating issues from this couple. Served a 3 day notice for their first official month (prorated for move-in month). They paid rent and I also collected late fee. I don't know what happened there but suspect they were attempting to see what they could get away with? 

Fast forward to this past May, specifically Memorial Day weekend. Tenant caught my hubby and didn't ASK but told my hubby that their daughter would be visiting for the long holiday weekend and would be bringing along her new puppy. It would be crated....blah, blah, blah. To be honest we love dogs and hubby was caught off guard. He doesn't do well with quick replies so half haphazardly said, "okay" and we left it at that. I personally would have had a different response but that is a moot point now. I would have allowed the pup but would have laid ground rules.

So pup comes, pup goes. AND THEN pup keeps coming seemingly every weekend or at least multiple times per month. Daughter lives out of town and visits with her children quite often. Actually they have a son as well with another grandchild and in addition to the couple renting the home there are multiple family members staying - "visiting" the home frequently. I don't begrudge this couple for having their kids and grandchildren visit them however the dog coming so often is getting on my nerves. 

We maintain the yard weekly (over 2 acres) and at first they did good about keeping the dog waste cleaned up. Now, not so much. We run through it with the tractor and of course have to clean it before putting it away til the following weekend and luckily we spotted a tie out before running over it and possibly causing damage to the tractor.

I want to at minimum send an e-mail addressing the subject...would prefer to just have a face to face (see them often). Hubby says we should let it go and not rock the boat. I feel we are being taken advantage of BUT I have an issue with the husband tenant due to an issue (unrelated) that took place in July. Too long to get in to let's just say he was very disrespectful to me personally and caused a large ruckus at the time. Perhaps I am holding a grudge.....

At any rate is this something that I should just let go? Of course I know their security deposit can be used to rectify interior situations if need be but this wasn't a "bring a dog if you feel like it and I won't charge extra" lease! We all know that pets are capable of easily eating up a security deposit and then some.

I am not a tyrant but am feeling like we are being taken advantage of. I don't want them to mistake our kindness for weakness.

Loading replies...