• Architect
  • Anaheim, CA
Votes |
Eviction or Cash for keys

Roslyn A.
  • Architect
  • Anaheim, CA
Posted Sep 23 2014, 21:56

I have a tenant who have had problems paying and being late so I finally decided to give her 60 day notice to leave.  The area this rental condo is located is fairly nice in southern California and most times I have no problem with finding a tenant that pays on time, however this one was inherited when I purchased the property. Dumb me for not doing a credit check.

Anyway, she emailed back that it would be fine.  She paid the beginning of the month as I saw on the bank account statement and I thought things will go smoothly.  But then, now that it's almost the end of the month, I got notice from the bank that her check bounced.  Unfortunately, I only check the bank account in the beginning of the month so now she's almost had a full month of rent free living.  She won't answer phone calls or emails.  I'm planning on giving a 3 day pay and quit. Then after that I'm thinking of doing cash for keys since I hear that eviction is very costly in California.

If I go the eviction route, would I be able to count the initial 60 day notice as part of the eviction process?

Thanks for any input.  This is my first real issue with a tenant.

Loading replies...