Would you rent to Doberman Pincher owner?

12 Replies

We are getting ready to rent a house for first time here in CA. It's in county not city limits. The owner is a police officer..is there special insurance I can require of him?
Thanks

@Tammy Wise  

Yes you can have them get renters insurance with a pet clause.

Absolutely rent to a cop. And be incredibly kind to the guy....having a police officer friend is the best gift in the world for a landlord....and guess whose house is never getting robbed???

Yes again, and check with your agent.

Is it a police dog or pet? His dog have him get insurance, a police dog, check with the police department as the dog will be insured differently, 24/7. :)

I assume this is a house, not an apt.

If an apt bldg. with kids I wouldn't go there, police dog or pet as some don't like their tail yanked. They are very good dogs, if house trained and trained in obedience. I had 2 of them trained and for attack, they scared me some around other people, especially if I wasn't home. They worked as a team. They are natural guard dogs, so think before you enter. Don't be scared of them, the look is half the bite.    

Should be a great tenant, check his credit and references like anyone else.

Try to make him your friend, but professionally, cops don't like it when they feel they are being befriended for favors. Careful what you say, treat him like anyone else. I say him, could be a her. :)

My insurance company does not permit a tenant to have a dog of that breed, so you might find your insurer has a similar restriction on dog breeds. 

@Tammy Wise  seems like you are a renter and you have a doberman. The landlord is police officer. What kind of insurance would you want? You are responsible for your stuff. He is responsible for the house and property. You get insurance on your stuff and your actions (renters insurance) and he gets insurance on his property and his actions (property insurance for non-owner occupied residential). If either of you don't have insurance if something goes wrong you sue for damages and slug it out in court. If he has a mortgage on the property you can bet he has insurance. If he does not have a mortgage you have lots of equity as "insurance".  You should get renters insurance without a doubt. Renters since they are in the home and have personal property in the home are much more likely to need insurance.

You should check with your insurance carrier to make sure they don't have any breed restrictions. If not, then I would insist that the tenant have a liability policy that covers his dog and you must be listed as an addition insured. Regular renters insurance will not suffice.

First, do you have a commercial umbrella policy?  (Gosh, I think I sound like Joe Gore!)  Second,  are you holding the property in your name?  You can require the owner to get liability insurance.  However, I would take some asset protection steps to protect myself on the front end.  If I still had concerns, I'd ask for a release to speak with the owner's veterinarian and any facility where the dog is regularly boarded.  If the dog shows no signs of aggression, when boarded, and the vet has positive things to say, I'd definitely rent to them. 

@Tammy Wise  

It is always prudent to be able to make individualistic decisions, however, as you acquire more property you will find that it is easier and more judicial to make blanket policies for ALL your properties so that discrimination does not come into play. With that said, we no longer allow certain breeds because of the risk/reward ratio. Better to err on the side of caution.

Before you make your decision, check with your insurance company and make sure they allow that breed. I've had a policy cancelled before because a tenant had a prohibited breed. It's better to check first.

This article has a list of breeds that many insurance companies do not allow (Doberman Pinschers are one of them):

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201405/14-dog-breeds-blacklisted-insurance-companies

Thanks everyone for their feedback and advice! I will definitely contact my ins and find out my options in the case I decide to go with this rentor

From @Kyle J.   's posted link:

• Pit Bull Terriers
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Presa Canarios
  • Chows Chows
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Akitas
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Mastiffs
  • Cane Corsos
  • Great Danes
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Siberian Huskies
  • -----------

The article also mentioned trouble with schipperkes -- aww come on!  I love those!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.