Would you rent to Doberman Pincher owner?

Would you rent to Doberman Pincher owner?

Oakley, CA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 11 votes
We are getting ready to rent a house for first time here in CA. It's in county not city limits. The owner is a police officer..is there special insurance I can require of him? Thanks
0Reply
27 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    yes you can have him get additional insurance.

  • Realtor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 148 posts · 46 votes
    12y

    @Tammy Wise 

     Yes you can have them get renters insurance with a pet clause.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y
    Absolutely rent to a cop. And be incredibly kind to the guy....having a police officer friend is the best gift in the world for a landlord....and guess whose house is never getting robbed???
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Yes again, and check with your agent.

    Is it a police dog or pet? His dog have him get insurance, a police dog, check with the police department as the dog will be insured differently, 24/7. :)

    I assume this is a house, not an apt.

    If an apt bldg. with kids I wouldn't go there, police dog or pet as some don't like their tail yanked. They are very good dogs, if house trained and trained in obedience. I had 2 of them trained and for attack, they scared me some around other people, especially if I wasn't home. They worked as a team. They are natural guard dogs, so think before you enter. Don't be scared of them, the look is half the bite.    

    Should be a great tenant, check his credit and references like anyone else.

    Try to make him your friend, but professionally, cops don't like it when they feel they are being befriended for favors. Careful what you say, treat him like anyone else. I say him, could be a her. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    My insurance company does not permit a tenant to have a dog of that breed, so you might find your insurer has a similar restriction on dog breeds. 

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Tammy Wise seems like you are a renter and you have a doberman. The landlord is police officer. What kind of insurance would you want? You are responsible for your stuff. He is responsible for the house and property. You get insurance on your stuff and your actions (renters insurance) and he gets insurance on his property and his actions (property insurance for non-owner occupied residential). If either of you don't have insurance if something goes wrong you sue for damages and slug it out in court. If he has a mortgage on the property you can bet he has insurance. If he does not have a mortgage you have lots of equity as "insurance".  You should get renters insurance without a doubt. Renters since they are in the home and have personal property in the home are much more likely to need insurance.

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    12y

    You should check with your insurance carrier to make sure they don't have any breed restrictions. If not, then I would insist that the tenant have a liability policy that covers his dog and you must be listed as an addition insured. Regular renters insurance will not suffice.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    First, do you have a commercial umbrella policy?  (Gosh, I think I sound like Joe Gore!)  Second,  are you holding the property in your name?  You can require the owner to get liability insurance.  However, I would take some asset protection steps to protect myself on the front end.  If I still had concerns, I'd ask for a release to speak with the owner's veterinarian and any facility where the dog is regularly boarded.  If the dog shows no signs of aggression, when boarded, and the vet has positive things to say, I'd definitely rent to them. 

  • Investor | Syndicator | Instructor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2008 · 435 posts · 198 votes
    12y

    @Tammy Wise 

     It is always prudent to be able to make individualistic decisions, however, as you acquire more property you will find that it is easier and more judicial to make blanket policies for ALL your properties so that discrimination does not come into play. With that said, we no longer allow certain breeds because of the risk/reward ratio. Better to err on the side of caution.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Before you make your decision, check with your insurance company and make sure they allow that breed. I've had a policy cancelled before because a tenant had a prohibited breed. It's better to check first.

    This article has a list of breeds that many insurance companies do not allow (Doberman Pinschers are one of them):

    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201405/14-dog-breeds-blacklisted-insurance-companies

  • Oakley, CA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    12y
    Thanks everyone for their feedback and advice! I will definitely contact my ins and find out my options in the case I decide to go with this rentor
  • Investor · Rocktown, IL · Member since 2012 · 238 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    From @Kyle J.  's posted link:

  • Pit Bull Terriers
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Presa Canarios
  • Chows Chows
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Akitas
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Mastiffs
  • Cane Corsos
  • Great Danes
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Siberian Huskies
  • -----------

    The article also mentioned trouble with schipperkes -- aww come on!  I love those!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.