Clay Manship
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
What To Do with These Tenants?

Clay Manship
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Sep 30 2014, 07:34

Here is what is going on:

I purchased a 4-plex on September 11, 2014. 2 of the 4 units came occupied, so I inherited two different families as tenants.

I am utilizing FHA 203k financing on this property, so I would ideally like to start with a clean slate, and have the place empty for the contractors to get their work done. That being said, there have already been some happenings with these tenants that have made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. So I wanted to see the best way to proceed:

With the lease that they are under, it clearly states NO PETS. However, when I was touring the property the day of closing, Unit 1 had a dog inside and Unit 2 had a dog cage on their back deck. Further, Unit 1 and Unit 2 have both been very difficult to reach when trying to get them to sign their estoppel. To date, neither tenant has signed one after multiple attempts and leaving documents in their mailboxes.

Now comes the fun stuff. The other day when I was around with a contractor, Unit 2 came outside and asked me who I was. I introduced myself and asked to speak with the person who was on the lease. Come to find out, the man who signed the lease DOES NOT LIVE AT THE PROPERTY, and only his sister does. She even stated "I am trying to figure out why his name is on there and you are looking for him..." Not to mention, the woman smelled greatly of marijuana.

When I attempted to walk next door to Unit 1, she informed me that "you won't find them there," and, "I think they said they are moving." If they are to leave, that is fine by me. One less person I have to take action against.

A day or two earlier I had spoken to a person who was at Unit 1, and that person would not give me a straight forward answer as to who he was and where the person who is supposed to be on the lease currently resides. ????????

I am considering approaching both and letting them know that they are in default of the lease, and therefore I can evict them. After doing that I would offer cash for keys, in an attempt to get them out and make both parties happy(ish) with the situation. I think this is the best way to proceed but am not sure. Would appreciate ANY insight...many thanks.

Loading replies...