Section 8 apartments

7 Replies

Hello everyone. This will be my first purchase. I am looking to purchase a 5 unit apartment. It was originally a 4 unit building, with a basement. The current owner has built an apartment in the basement, that is currently rented, making it 5 units. If I purchase the building, I am looking to accept section 8 tenants. The basement unit has no openable windows. I believe that makes the basement unit unable to accept section 8 tenants, but I'm not sure, please correct me if I'm wrong. Does this make the other 4 units ineligible for section 8 tenants?

just shooting from the hip. I would check with local section 8 website/office and see what they require. 

Originally posted by @Pete Crutchfield :

just shooting from the hip. I would check with local section 8 website/office and see what they require. 

Thanks @Pete Crutchfield, I'm going to be calling them Monday.  I was hoping to see if anyone had any experience with a similar situation. 

I do not. I believe the housing/"landlord requirements to be regional in nature.  I have also found that the websites are geared for the end user not the provider/landlord. 

I do not. I believe the housing/"landlord requirements to be regional in nature.  I have also found that the websites are geared for the end user not the provider/landlord. 

I do not. I believe the housing/"landlord requirements to be regional in nature. I have also found that the websites are geared for the end user not the provider/landlord.

I understand that. I'm just trying to find out if you can have 4 units of a 5 unit building sanctioned for section 8 and rent the basement unit to non-section 8 tenants. 

Originally posted by @Brandon Moore:

I do not. I believe the housing/"landlord requirements to be regional in nature. I have also found that the websites are geared for the end user not the provider/landlord.

I understand that. I'm just trying to find out if you can have 4 units of a 5 unit building sanctioned for section 8 and rent the basement unit to non-section 8 tenants. 

You can definitely mix a building with Section 8 and non-susidized tenants. No question. I do think you're right to worry about the basement apartment not meeting egress requirements for Section 8, and possibly local building code. Definitely check on both.

Originally posted by @Bradley Bogdan:
Originally posted by @Brandon Moore:

You can definitely mix a building with Section 8 and non-susidized tenants. No question. I do think you're right to worry about the basement apartment not meeting egress requirements for Section 8, and possibly local building code. Definitely check on both.

Thanks @Bradley Bogdan, the basement unit has an exit door on both ends of the unit, with each door leading to building exits on either side of the building. I was thinking that would be good with the local building code, but you're right, I definitely need to verify that. Thank you for your response. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here