Section 8 apartments

7 Replies

Hello everyone. This will be my first purchase. I am looking to purchase a 5 unit apartment. It was originally a 4 unit building, with a basement. The current owner has built an apartment in the basement, that is currently rented, making it 5 units. If I purchase the building, I am looking to accept section 8 tenants. The basement unit has no openable windows. I believe that makes the basement unit unable to accept section 8 tenants, but I'm not sure, please correct me if I'm wrong. Does this make the other 4 units ineligible for section 8 tenants?

just shooting from the hip. I would check with local section 8 website/office and see what they require. 

Originally posted by @Pete Crutchfield :

just shooting from the hip. I would check with local section 8 website/office and see what they require. 

Thanks @Pete Crutchfield, I'm going to be calling them Monday.  I was hoping to see if anyone had any experience with a similar situation. 

I do not. I believe the housing/"landlord requirements to be regional in nature.  I have also found that the websites are geared for the end user not the provider/landlord. 

I do not. I believe the housing/"landlord requirements to be regional in nature.  I have also found that the websites are geared for the end user not the provider/landlord. 

I do not. I believe the housing/"landlord requirements to be regional in nature. I have also found that the websites are geared for the end user not the provider/landlord.

I understand that. I'm just trying to find out if you can have 4 units of a 5 unit building sanctioned for section 8 and rent the basement unit to non-section 8 tenants. 

Originally posted by @Brandon Moore:

I do not. I believe the housing/"landlord requirements to be regional in nature. I have also found that the websites are geared for the end user not the provider/landlord.

I understand that. I'm just trying to find out if you can have 4 units of a 5 unit building sanctioned for section 8 and rent the basement unit to non-section 8 tenants. 

You can definitely mix a building with Section 8 and non-susidized tenants. No question. I do think you're right to worry about the basement apartment not meeting egress requirements for Section 8, and possibly local building code. Definitely check on both.

Originally posted by @Bradley Bogdan:
Originally posted by @Brandon Moore:

You can definitely mix a building with Section 8 and non-susidized tenants. No question. I do think you're right to worry about the basement apartment not meeting egress requirements for Section 8, and possibly local building code. Definitely check on both.

Thanks @Bradley Bogdan, the basement unit has an exit door on both ends of the unit, with each door leading to building exits on either side of the building. I was thinking that would be good with the local building code, but you're right, I definitely need to verify that. Thank you for your response.