Do YOU get paid?

2 Replies

So I tend to lean towards the do it myself side as far as maintenance break fix since I only have about 6 doors still. Trying to keep the profits as profits I guess. But I have been thinking, am I saving even less than I thought I was was? My thought was those times when I do hire someone, I get a  invoice, and something I write off on my texes. When I go spend 3 hours on a project, I get... a few miles and maybe a receipt from home depot. So my question, can I pay myself a reasonable rate to do work? The homes are in my name, so I am guessing no... But that makes me think I am really wasting time trying to save any money doing things I really do no want to be doing. 

Curious is this is the case, or if there is a way to recover the tax savings that I am not aware of. I guess this is one of those reasons why I should have a more active CPA..

So, thoughts??

You can pay yourself anything you want to do the work...

The problem is, while you'll get the write-off in the business, you'll also get the income from the payments you make to yourself.  And the income will likely incur self-employment taxes on top of income taxes, so you'll potentially end up in a worse financial position than you're currently in...

Ahh, I didn't even consider that. You are right, I'm hit either way. So I really do need to take the tax hit into account before I decide to not hire something out..... I'm not a fan of working for lower than I make at my day job, so something should change it looks like....

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.