Unhealthy Living Environment? lease abandoned

Trisha S.
  • Investor
  • Superior, WI
Posted Oct 13 2014, 05:36

Tenant Communication

09/05/2014

Debra called Trisha

Debra stated that there is mold on the inside of the toilet bowl and sink bowl by the drain. As well as, a small amount of water that came in near the kitchen when it rained. 

Trisha responded that we could be there the next day and analyze a repair plan.

09/06/2014

11:00 AM

Nick, Trisha & Debra

Meet at property

The roof was repaired and a dehumidifier with a setting to control the percentage of humidity was installed.

We did not see any mold in the toilet or sink, Debra had said she had just cleaned them out.

Upon arrival it was noticed that dog train pads were left out for the dogs. There was urine and poop on the pads and the floor.

We talked with Debra and she agreed to call if she had any more problems or if the mold continued to grow. We discussed the next step of installing an air exchanger with a HEPA filter if she continued to have any problems.

09/22/2014

2:29 AM

Trisha called and left a message for Debra

Trisha left a voice mail message for Debra asking if she has noticed any more leaks after the roof repair and if the dehumidifier has helped with the mold inside her toilet bowl and near her sink drain. 

There was no response.

10/07/2014

9:54 AM

Trisha called and left a message for Debra

Trisha Informed Debra that she was 7 days late on the rent and that she missed the deadline to avoid the late fee after the 5th of October.

A Pay or Quit Notice was posted on the door of property and placed in the mailbox.

10/08/2014

8:20 AM

Debra texted Trisha

Debra said, “Hi. This is Deb. Unfortunately I am writing to you to let you know that I have moved out of 2204 Iowa Ave. due to the severe mold problem. The mold has made me very ill with respiratory problems and I can no longer rent from you. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Pet Tracking Deposit  - $500.00

06/04/2014

Payment of $41.66

Payment made of $41.66

$458.34

07/01/2014

Payment of $41.66

Payments made of $83.32

$416.68

08/05/2014

Payment of $41.66

Payments made of $124.98

$371.02

10/04/2014

Last payment of $41.66

Payments made of $166.66

$333.36

The remaining balance of the 8 months left in the lease, we would need $333.36 a for the pet deposit.

Ideas of how to handle:

If you are interested in breaking the lease, then you will need to cover rents until a new tenant rents out property. Rents will be due until this occurs.

Pay all current storm water fees and sewage fees

Cover the removal costs of all your items left behind including the indoor and outdoor furniture.

Cover the cost of cleaning, check list for details.

If these costs are not covered or if there is no communication then we will issues a judgment and continue with the eviction process.

If you wish to be released from your lease, then you need to return the keys to the house

If there is no payment or response then we file a judgment.

If there is no payment or response then we could have the lawyer draw up a letter.

Suggestions?

Loading replies...