It's the GATE Stupid

2 Replies

My residents appreciate my passion for landlording. They smile at the thought of being part of a small apartment community. But they go out of their way to tell me they appreciate self-closing, locking gates the most.

Crime is now a non-issue on our block. So I am surprised that my new residents, who don't have a clue about our past struggles, comment on the gates.

I share this to drive home this tip. Even though these gates cost around $2,600, and I didn't want to spend the money, it's has proved to have been money very well spent. 

@Al Williamson  great tip - thanks a lot. A couple questions real quick: 

1) is that $2,600 including the wiring/code box and there are no other costs at all? 

2) do you have a fence around the gate or is it naturally enclosed by buildings, etc.? 

3) what other things need to happen in terms of transitioning residents to using a gate? 

After reading your post I'm considering doing the same thing at an apt community. 

@joe fairless

1) No wiring. Just two quality self-closing gates, with crash bars, and a Schlage key locks. You'll also need a key-keeper for your postal work and Knoks boxes for police and fire.

2) Naturally enclosed. Walkway is confined by side fence and the complex itself.

3) If there is a criminal element inside your gates, the gates will be ineffective. For gates work, you can not have any bad stuff going on inside your complex.

I wish I had deliberately done some calculations and arrive at the decision upgrade my apartment's control access. I wasn't that smart. I stubbed onto the decision by trying to get in line with fire codes. 

You, on the other hand, would be wise to take action based on my lesson learned.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.