What would you do with this covered deck on a rental?

7 Replies

I am about to start turning a property rent ready and have a deck in the backyard (see pictures below).  I am trying to decide if I should keep it as-is or remove the roof.  A covered deck is nice in such a hot climate like Houston.  However, let's just say the roof looks like a civil engineer didn't design it.  

So... would you keep it? Or tear down the roof? I don't want it to turn into a liability but I could just be overreacting.

I would check all the structural components for rot.  If it leaks a bit it isn't bad, but if rafters are rotted or a post then you will be in on some pretty extensive repairs.  It kind of looks like they used rolled roofing and just let it dangle off the ends.  I would have extended the underlayment out past the edge or pulled the roofing down and nailed it to the edge.  Loose roll roofing can get caught by the wind and peel off big chunks.

I will simply compare the cost of repair/vs demo to see which one is cheaper and go with it. If it cost is the same i would keep it.

and yea, make sure it is safe.

congrats on the purchase! what part of town is this one in ?

If it was mine, I would pull off the roofing and decking and run some 2x2s perpendicular to the rafters to create a pergola. This would be assuming the rafters are still sound and up to code. 

The issue to me is not the roof or rafters, but the system holding it up. Looks like they built the roof after the deck and simply attached it to the deck posts with 2x material. Big no no. Chances are its not going anywhere, but you never know. My vote is get rid of it. How many people like to enjoy the outdoors when it's raining?

You should also make sure that charcoal grill never gets used on the deck:)

Originally posted by @Marshall Downs :

The issue to me is not the roof or rafters, but the system holding it up. Looks like they built the roof after the deck and simply attached it to the deck posts with 2x material. Big no no. Chances are its not going anywhere, but you never know. My vote is get rid of it. How many people like to enjoy the outdoors when it's raining?

It's not about shelter from rain, it's about shelter from the sun.  

If the framing is sound, I would just tear up the roofing and replace with metal roofing in a color that coordinates with the house.  Metal roofing is available at HD/Lowes in 3x8 and 3x12 sizes in several colors.  Maybe 3 hours of work to remove what is there and replace.

Well, if you can walk the roof, probably ok, but the pics do not show a sound structure. Usable, maybe, but sound, no.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here