How much to pay tenant's agent?

6 Replies

I've just listed my first rental property on my own, without a listing agent.  I've completed all the duties of a listing agent - marketing, setting up showings, background checks, etc.  If I select a tenant that came to us through their real estate agent, how much would I be expected to pay them?  

Why would you use an agent for that? I use Postlets.com that uploads my listing to over 20 WEB sites and let me cut-n-paste the listing to Craigslist. But even with that, the biggest number of tenants I get from the For-Rent sign I have printed on a 2x2Leter size and posted on the property window(s). 

10+years ago I used the MLS (I didn't know better) and then my posting agent split one month rent with the agent that found the renter. I would consider this to be the highest amount one can pay to an agent.

Thanks for the information Bobby.  I also used Postlet - however, much of the interest I've gotten is from real estate agents on their clients' behalf.  So I wasn't sure how to handle that.  

It's been my experience that commission is usually one months rent.. split between the two.  Or a set fee of $500 to whatever...

Down here if I use an agent to list my property, show the property, handle background checks and lease prep, and put a big sign on the yard, they charge 1 month's rent.  If the renter has an agent, then they split the 1 month's rent.

So if you do that work yourself, and a tenant comes via an agent of theirs, I would say half month's rent would be reasonable, is the tenant paying this agent any $?

I am a Realtor in the Fort Lauderdale area, and Sam has got it right. I would provide 1/2 month rent for the cooperating Agent, unless you neigotiated prior to signing any documentation. Some of the larger apartment complex provide a fixed fee, dependent on the Properties vacancy percentage. 

Thanks for the information everyone - appreciate the input.  Half month's rent seems reasonable to me.  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.