Partition question.

Partition question.

Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2012 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi, I'm new to the real estate business and I have lots to learns. I just recently purchased a 2 family house and I'm thinking about partitioning one of the floors to make 2 two bedrooms apartments. I have done some research and I'm clear on the zoning for the area. My knowledge to this industry is limited but I need expert advise if there are any legal matters or other issue before I approach this project. Thank you in advance.

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    11y

    Sounds like you've verified the zoning department will allow you to convert it from two units to three.  If you've not actually spoken with them, do.  Just because a zoning map says its OK doesn't mean you can actually do it.  I had a deal like this on the hook until the zoning guy pointed out how much parking I needed.  There was just no way to squeeze it in.

    Then talk to the building department.   Building codes can be different for 3+ unit buildings vs. SFRs or duplexes.  Unless the building is very new there are almost always a few things they will make you do as soon as you start touching anything.  Specifically, things like GFCI breakers in wet areas (kitchen, bath, garage), arc-fault breakers in bedrooms and smoke and CO detectors.

    Also very likely you'll be required to pull permits (which usually requires a general contractor license) and use licensed subcontractors.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.