Furnace service?

12 Replies

Well its already cold here in Michigan.  I always cringe when the phone rings hoping it is not a tenant saying their furnace won't start.  I get mail from furnace companies offering one time payments for a certain number of inspections and/or cleanings.  Do any of you use this service? How do any of you in the cold climates handle this?  I would like to have a connection to an HVAC service that will come when I call and possibly clean the furnace when needed. 

Hello Steve:  Hope you are doing well.  Sounds like you are.

I feel your pain.  I always worried about furnaces going out in the winter time.  I do have a reliable guy, but I believe all your rentals are in Fenton?  So my guy wouldn't do you any good.

I use to "Test" out my guys until I found one that was dependable and stuck with them.  

You may have to do that.  Usually a referral is good from another landlord.  Perhaps your Landlord Association may give you a guy to call.  

But don't advertise for one.  I had over 300 guys apply when I placed an ad.  It was overwhelming!  I was glad when 3 months later the replies started to ease up.

Hope to see you sometime in the future!  Take care.

Nancy

Go online to either DTE or Consumers (they both offer it) and sign up for their Appliance repair program.  It's less than $15/month and it covers your furnace/boiler and HWH.

Joe Villeneuve
REcapSystem
A2REIC

Originally posted by @Nancy Neville :

Hello Steve:  Hope you are doing well.  Sounds like you are.

I feel your pain.  I always worried about furnaces going out in the winter time.  I do have a reliable guy, but I believe all your rentals are in Fenton?  So my guy wouldn't do you any good.

Hi Nancy.  Actually I have houses all over.  I have them in Hazel Park, Mundy,  and Burton. Please forward any names you have.  I am always looking for honest contractors. 

Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve :

Go online to either DTE or Consumers (they both offer it) and sign up for their Appliance repair program.  It's less than $15/month and it covers your furnace/boiler and HWH.

Really?  What do they do for that price?  Is it free labor or parts?  Thank you for your advice. 

Originally posted by Mark Forest:
Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:

Really?  What do they do for that price?  Is it free labor or parts?  Thank you for your advice. 

Yes...and Yes.  I always sign up for it when I buy any new property, whether I'm holding or flipping.  It covers me during the rehab, and after I put a tenant in, it keeps them from calling me when the furnace or HWH goes out...and the utility company pays for it.

Joe Villeneuve
REcapSystem
A2REIC

Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve :

Joe Villeneuve
REcapSystem
A2REIC

I know this is an older discussion, but I was searching through the forum to maybe find a furnace guy in my area and I read this post. I think this is an awesome idea. Thanks for suggesting it.

@Robert Farris @Joe Villeneuve

Joe is exactly right  DTE appliance repair is great!  I have 4 homes on it currently. Its $13.95 monthly which covers  Furnace/Boiler and Water Heater.  Some other hints when calling- If you are a AAA member you get a 10% discount of the $13.95 fee. Bringing your total to $12.55 monthly. Also ask them for the landlord discount if you sign up 3 or more homes you get a month free for multiple home discount. That's one you need to ask for they wont tell you! It will cover pretty much everything on the furnace except a bad heat exchanger. If that's the case your buying a new furnace. They have a 24-7 live operator for your tenant to call and usually service within a day. Its a great peace of mind! You can also add on air conditioner for $6.95 monthly.

I checked my local power company.  It's $22 a month for HVAC and water heater.  Annually, that adds up when paying for multiple properties....  I've yet to spend that much on fixing those systems for now.....

Originally posted by @Bryan N. :

I checked my local power company.  It's $22 a month for HVAC and water heater.  Annually, that adds up when paying for multiple properties....  I've yet to spend that much on fixing those systems for now.....

It's called "risk control".  You said the magic word in your reason not to do it...which is the very reason to do it..."yet".

So you hold back a % of your rent/cash flow to cover this?  How much?...and if you had this in place, would you still need to do that?

@Joe Villeneuve

I don't need my cash flow.  I just let it build up and I only use it for maintenance or new purchases.  So, it doesn't matter to me.  

@Bryan N.   I'm assuming that $22 total  includes the AC also. Not bad in Mich. it would be about $21 for Furnace AC and HWT. Yes it would add up but a typical Comp. board Blower Motor type repair is usually $350 and up to repair. And I look at it also as I am not dealing with finding the company and handling the setup work to get somebody out to the home. And the tenants get a live person to talk to 24-7 and they love it! They recognize the big utility company name and realize your not sending out a handyman to fix the furnace.

@Ron S.

That's the beauty of real estate.  Everyone has a systems that works for them.  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.