Do you re-screen tenants before renewing a lease?

6 Replies

I recently had a tenant vacate a townhouse and during a walk through prior to their leaving a noticed court documents from a neighboring county informing my tenant that his charges for "aggravated sexual battery" were being dropped.  Obviously I don't know the circumstances or what happened but had the tenant not decided to leave I would have gladly renewed his lease.  There were no payment issues and the home was always kept in great shape.  Since this happened I have been considering re-screening my tenants between leases.  I was wondering if anyone else did this or if they had other advice on how to monitor tenants post screening.

I've never considered doing this with a good paying tenant.  If i saw behavior that might indicate issues such as sporadic communication, late payments, messages from neighbots/relations to tenant then I would certainly entertain this idea.

You may catch someone once in a great while that committed a crime while he was your tenant. But, it seems like it would be pretty rare, since they didn't have any felonies the first time you screened them. 

Personally, I don't re-screen people. Seems to me like it would be a waste of time and money.

I haven't but in certain instances it might come in handy, never really thought about it. I guess it would depend on the class of people you rent to and your preliminary screening guidelines as well. If you own a large complex it would be a way of keeping an eye on your tenants who may have changed their lifestyle for the worse while being your tenant and weeding them out along the way. I guess it would boil down to weighing out cost v/s reward?

I might be afraid of getting into trouble for re-screening only some people upon lease renewal and not everyone. I think that if you put this into practice, you will need to re-screen everyone at renewal. You don't want to get into trouble for some sort of discrimination.

Then you need to be prepared to evict people if they don't pass, even if they have been overall good tenants and good payers.

Really good points Michelle Na it seems like I'm more likely to alienate good tenants, or provoke conflict than to catch a problem early on.  Embarrassingly, I didn't think about the discrimination potential there either.