Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Alan B.
  • Banker
  • Saginaw, MI
Votes |
One bedroom Section 8 Voucher/Restricting family size without breaking discrimination laws

Alan B.
  • Banker
  • Saginaw, MI
Posted Dec 13 2014, 17:56

I just completed my 2nd door (the top half of my duplex), it’s a one bedroom, with a stand up shower (no bathtub), carpeting only in bedroom, and what I would define as a total bachelor pad. It’s not a place designed for a family, kids, or even a couple. Obviously I can’t list it like that due to discrimination laws, but I figured with it being a 1 bedroom and only a shower with no tub that someone with kids wouldn’t even apply.

I had someone come and take a look at it today, she has a Section 8 voucher for a one bedroom. I do accept vouchers, my lower unit is subsidized. I didn’t expect her to have a child, wouldn’t expect someone with a kid to apply for a 1 bedroom with no bathtub. When she mentioned her daughter I asked her was she ok with this only being a 1 bed and no tub. She said she was. I then asked her how many bedrooms her voucher was for. She said one.

Don’t see why Sec 8 would give someone with a child a 1 bed voucher, anyone ever heard of that? Ultimately, if the housing commission doesn’t mind her renting a 1 bedroom with a child then neither do I. I just find it strange she’s willing to rent this place, kind of seems like she is desperate.

Also, without breaking any laws how can I restrict the family size allowed in a rental? Example, a couple with 4 kids applying for a 2 bedroom. Obviously that 2 bed is sufficient and I don’t want them pilling all their kids into one room or have kids sleeping in the living room.

All advice and comments are appreciated.

Loading replies...