• Portland, ME
Votes |
Maintaining fire & smoke detectors

Drew MacDermott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Portland, ME
Posted Dec 16 2014, 05:40

On the First of November, a tragic fatal fire occurred in a duplex in Portland, Maine, the city I most recently lived in.  Early that morning a fire broke out and 6 people passed away.  I did not know the individuals myself but they were part of the area restaurant industry and were known by many others.  I have been following the story the past few weeks and wanted to share this most recent article, if the link does not break after posting.  

Summarizing the article, City officials have now cited the property owner for violations at at another apartment buildings he owns and are requiring him to address fire safety concerns there, due to continuous tenant complaints.  There is a grey area because according to local codes, small apartments like this duplex are only required to have "safety inspections" conducted when complaints rise.  I am not quite clear on what this means but due to the fatal fire, the Fire Chief is also walking through inspections with code officials in the owners other properties.  Allegedly there were, and/or are, less than adequate means of egress as well, including boarded up emergency exits.  It seems to me like the owner will be at least financially responsible to the victims families due to his alleged negligence.

As we come to the end of the year, have you taken time to inspect and replace fire, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors?  Do you have multiple emergency exits for your tenants?

Don't let this tragic story happen to you. Save a life! 

Loading replies...