Carpet tiles, tacky or a good idea?

8 Replies

Does anyone use these and do they 'look' like carpet squares when put down? I'm thinking of the plush tiles, btw.

They are more, but if a LL has to replace wall to wall with every new tenant, these might be more economical down the road if you can just replace damaged ones?

http://www.floormyplace.com/p-27245-legato-embrace-mkct-545029-904-first-cup.aspx

We've used them (purchased through carpetbargains out of North Georgia as there are a good number of carpet mills up there).  They are useful especially if tenants have pets or small children; you order a few extra and if some are damaged they are easy to replace.

The hospital I work at uses carpet tiles instead of carpet.  Now when I go into a physicians office for an appointment I can't help but check out the waiting room floor to see if they're using carpet or tiles.  Occupational hazard I guess!

Gail

Carpet tile is used all the time in the commercial world, but I still have my doubts about residential use.  I would be okay with carpet tile in a basement rec room but it just feels too cheap for a bedroom or other living area.  Most carpet tile is installed with a troweled on adhesive, so your sub floor needs to be in fairly decent condition for a good long lasting installation.  Traditional carpet can go over a sub floor in rougher condition - the carpet pad hides a lot of imperfections.

I would imagine it depends on the room. If it makes sense financially, looks good and at least hints at what your going for....then use em up!

What is normal in your area? I have notice that "different" and crazy, isn't alway accept in the residential world. Especially not in my higher end world. I have find people like normal and predictable. Crazy usually means people think twice, longer time on the market and therefore costlier to a landlord. So I like to go normal and predictable.

I have never seen plush carpet squares, wall to wall, in person.  But if it looks like 'squares' after it's all in, I don't think it's a good option for residential. I agree the low pile ones look cheap no matter what. 

At $3.00/foot not installed I can't imagine this being a better alternative than actual carpet.  In my neck of the woods I pay under $1.00/foot for nice residential grade carpet and pad, professionally installed.  So I can pay the installer and get brand new carpet 3x times for the cost of just paying for these tiles (not even accounting for shipping and install).

I'd spend the time that would go towards installing (or finding somebody to install) on finding a great budget friendly carpet installer.  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.