tenant screening

11 Replies

I have a family of 7, 5 adults and 2 children that wish to rent our rental home. I need to run a credit and background check on all of the adults.  Does your company charge per person or do you have package deal that we could purchase to run them? Also, does the tenant or landlord usually pay for this service. I need an answer a.s.a.p. since they would like to move in by this January. Please help.  Sincerely, Jackie Galayda

We charge our tenants $25 for application fee which is a litter lower than typical (30-35).  That is a lot of adults to apply for one house.  How many bedrooms are there?

I do not charge an application fee but I do require the adults to be screened and cover their owning credit and background check.

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Thomas Hopkins :

hope you already have the family moved in, but in case you don't, take a look at 

They charge $15 / background and credit check / adult. And you get the results immediately. Hope this helps. 

Why not just go Pro and advertise in the marketplace instead of bumping old threads to promote the website?

Originally posted by @Chris K. :
Originally posted by @Thomas Hopkins:

hope you already have the family moved in, but in case you don't, take a look at 

They charge $15 / background and credit check / adult. And you get the results immediately. Hope this helps. 

Why not just go Pro and advertise in the marketplace instead of bumping old threads to promote the website?

Chris, I am simply answering Jackie's question. This is the spirit of a forum. You post questions and you receive answers and opinions. To Jackie, I hope that I was able to help her. Chris, To answer your question, I just became a biggerpockets member today so I haven't had a chance to fully explore the site. Pro marketplace is something that I might consider, so thank you for the advice, I will definitely check it out. Along the same lines, please let me know if you have other recommendations. Thank you in advance for your help.  

I know this may not help you Jackie because it sounds like you are looking for a single solution... and because it is not February!!  haha.   

For all the other users out there - it is borderline creepy to know this exists, however as a landlord, I don't know how I could be without it in some scenarios.  The service is called spokeo.  Depending on your membership level, you can get background checks, domestic data, and credit scores very easily.

I hope this helps some!  

*Really the best way to screen is by asking all the right questions and looking for the signs.*

Good luck!!

Regarding using spokeo - be very careful about violations of the FCRA ...

Regarding Spokeo, you don't have to worry about the FCRA at all. The FCRA only has to do with credit report and information. Spokeo actually has a statement on their site regarding the FCRA. More importantly, make sure you are following the FHA. However, Jackie, you don't sound like you own more than 3 properties and are actively managing them, which means that you would be held to a different standard under the FHA. Anyway, here is the language regarding to Spokeo - † All data offered is derived from public sources. Spokeo does not verify or evaluate each piece of data, and makes no warranties or guarantees about any of the information offered. Spokeo does not possess or have access to secure or private financial information. Spokeo is not a credit reporting agency and does not offer consumer reports. None of the information offered by Spokeo is to be considered for purposes of determining any entity or person's eligibility for credit, insurance, employment, housing, or for any other purposes covered under the FCRA.

Hope this helps,

Thomas

@Thomas Hopkins 

Spokeo has EVERYTHING to do with the FCRA, and the FCRA covers a lot more then credit. It covers investigative reports, public records, and more. Using a service like Spokeo to create a tenant screening background check will get you sued faster then you can say FTC.

I appreciate your effort to join and eventually promote your product but please get your facts straight. 

Originally posted by @Jackie Galayda :

I have a family of 7, 5 adults and 2 children that wish to rent our rental home. I need to run a credit and background check on all of the adults.  Does your company charge per person or do you have package deal that we could purchase to run them? Also, does the tenant or landlord usually pay for this service. I need an answer a.s.a.p. since they would like to move in by this January. Please help.  Sincerely, Jackie Galayda

My reply is too late for this landlord, but will post anyway in hopes that it may help others. I always ask tenants when screening them on the phone to run their own credit and explain that they will need this for all applications they are submitting. They  can run it at no cost on FreeCreditReport.com. If they don't know how, you can ask them for the information you need and then run it for them. Even though the reports are free if I run them, I still charge $25 as this weeds out the people with bad credit. As for background checks, depending on how much you want to check, these are pretty reasonable. You can also go on the County Court Records websites and check them out by name, and that usually tells a lot of the tale, especially if they have been evicted. Tell them up-front that you are going to do this, and again, the ones who have something to hide will probably never get back to you.

Originally posted by @Mark Updegraff :

We charge our tenants $25 for application fee which is a litter lower than typical (30-35).  That is a lot of adults to apply for one house.  How many bedrooms are there?

I was wondering about that as well; 5 adults does sound like an unusual situation. I also like the idea of an application or credit check fee as it tends to weed out the people who have something to hide as well as the looky-loos.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here