tenant screening

8 Replies

I have a family of 7, 5 adults and 2 children that wish to rent our rental home. I need to run a credit and background check on all of the adults.  Does your company charge per person or do you have package deal that we could purchase to run them? Also, does the tenant or landlord usually pay for this service. I need an answer a.s.a.p. since they would like to move in by this January. Please help.  Sincerely, Jackie Galayda

We charge every adult over the age of 18 years who will be living in the home.

Our charge covers the credit check and also a criminal background check on everyone. You will get rid of potentially bad tenants when they know you plan to screen them which is exactly what you want. 

The tenant pays for this service. It is a fee that is charged by most professional management companies nationwide, so most tenants expect it. If they don't want to pay, we're fine that they walk. Our application fee is $50 up front per adult and, if they can't afford it, they can't afford rent.

agree with @Karen Rittenhouse  -- every adult gets a background and credit check.  It's about $30 per person and the potential renter pays.  Most applicants have no problem with this.   We have a very high-demand rental market in Denver, though….  I'm not sure if it would be different in other markets where there isn't as high a demand (ie- would the owner pay for the background check if they really needed/wanted to get a tenant in?  Maybe.)  Try checking rental listings on craig's list for your area to see if other ads mention a fee for the background check.

(303) 886-4391

@Kyle Doney  I use an online company called safe rent (https://www.residentscreening.net/rsn/login.aspx).  I haven't had to use it very many times as I've only had properties for a few years, but the reports seemed reliable and thorough!  I would love to have other landlords recs to compare if anyone uses a service they love!

(303) 886-4391

@Kyle Doney   Hi Kyle - If you are looking for a screening site, you can try out our site (www.simplifiedrental.com).  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Don't forget to go to your local courthouse and do an evictions record check! Some evictions may not show up in your background search but the court will have everything with their name on it.

This post has been removed.

I apologize for the big font. This is my first time posting and I must have messed something up :) 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.