handling a tenant giving you a holiday gift

handling a tenant giving you a holiday gift

Colleen F.Pro Member
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes

First ,  i don't give my tenants gifts.  I've given it some though but its not really my style so for now we have opted out and it has never been an issue. I got a message today from a tenant who has been with us for about two months asking when I would be around she has something for me.  I am really not comfortable accepting gifts.  I am hoping this is cookies or a fruitcake which would be thoughtful but not too uncomfortable. However if it is a gift like her voicemail states I would like to end the practice. Has anyone had tenants try to gift you? how do you deal with it?  I really just want to be the landlord not her friend but don't want to insult her.

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
11y

I would say thank you and acknowledge the thoughtfulness of the gesture. Then ask how everything thing is at the property. I would not say that you do not want gifts in he future. I would say this is more of an issue about your comfort level and might be beneficial to just appreciate the gesture. You don't need to return the gesture nor does it in anyway give the tenant leverage. A gift is just that, something to show appreciation,  not me thing that puts you in debt to them. Just my thoughts....

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lowell, MA · Member since 2014 · 260 posts · 99 votes
    11y

    I would sweetly thank your tenant and tell them that while you appreciate the gesture it was not expected and not necessary in the future. Its a great problems to have tenants! Happy holidays

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    We have a great tenant who brings us specialty chocolate from Europe when he goes home to visit. It's not a Christmas gift per se, just something thoughtful. When we visit our properties in FL, he always has appetizers and wine set out for us. It felt odd at first, but he's a professional chef. We bring him salt water taffy from NJ.

    We're ok with food gifts, so hopefully that's what she has for you @Colleen F. - or maybe the rent a few days early.

    I suppose if it's something expensive, you could just say "thank you" for this one, but you have a policy not to accept gifts from tenants, as taking care of your property is gift enough for you :)

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    11y

    I would say thank you and acknowledge the thoughtfulness of the gesture. Then ask how everything thing is at the property. I would not say that you do not want gifts in he future. I would say this is more of an issue about your comfort level and might be beneficial to just appreciate the gesture. You don't need to return the gesture nor does it in anyway give the tenant leverage. A gift is just that, something to show appreciation,  not me thing that puts you in debt to them. Just my thoughts....

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    11y

    hmm...

    "WOW I must not be charging you enough rent for you to be able to afford gifts for me!  Next year I'll make sure to plan for a bigger raise!"

    Just kidding.

  • Jonna WeberPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    11y

    As long as it is not over the top, I would just be polite and accept gracefully. I think @Kyle Hipp has the right idea.  

  • Investor · Collinsville, IL · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    However you decide to deal with it, it's a good problem to have compared to the usual issues surrounding tenant/landlord relationships.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 57 votes
    11y

    Some people really want to give gifts, and may feel bad if they are not accepted.  

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
    11y

    @Colleen F. what was it? 

  • Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Most Landlords should be so lucky.  

    Just keep raising their rent until the gifts stop coming, then you'll know you have maxed the rent ceiling (just joking of course).  For some people it's just the time of year for giving, let them have their feel good moment...  What can go wrong?

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Aly W.  @Kendall T.  I often wish they would just send a note that they have donated to a charity but I have dealt with the have to give a gift crowd so I guess I will let them have their moment. @Sam Leon  as I am picturing telling her that in my mind I start to laugh. @Kirk R.  I will post after i see her but  I have been away.

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
    11y

    @Colleen F. did you open your stocking yet?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.