Votes
Devin Morgan
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
You want your rent reduced by what?

Devin Morgan
  • Baltimore, MD
Posted Jan 4 2015, 04:38

Hey everyone. I'll try to shorten this as much as possible. I rent out two bedrooms in my home. When JR moved in he didn't have to share a bathroom and was paying 525/mnth with everything included except gas & electric. I made JR *perfectly aware* there would potentially be a third roommate in the future. 5 months later M moves in. Now he has to share a bathroom. M pays 500 for the smaller bedroom and shared bath. My roommate before them that had JR's room paid 600, M pays 500 for less space. I told him as a mild inconvenience I'll drop his rent to 500 (mistake number 1 as it was nothing in the contract about if/ when someone else moves in) 

He text me later saying he doesn't think 500 is sufficient as that is another person in the space, using hot water, in the living room, using W/D etc (which the living room I furnished and all of that I pay for). He goes on to say his rent should be reduced by at LEAST $75 (see mistake number 1 lol). I told him I don't see your rent dropping to 450 unless nothing is included so you would pay 1/3 cable, internet, water/sewage, etc which would end up being more than 500 anyway. Then I reminded him if he finds it unreasonable the clause in the lease contract states he can terminate the contract as long as 45 day notice is given. We decided we'll talk more once he gets home although I honestly don't see it going anywhere. Opinions? 

Loading replies...