• Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
A couple of things on turning over a unit between tenants

Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Jan 5 2015, 09:46

I have a few things that needed input from BP landlords on turning over a unit.

SHOWING A UNIT WHILE STILL BEING OCCUPIED

This is something I have never done I always waited till the unit is vacant and I have a chance to clean and get it to at least a semi-presentable state before I show.  I would advertise a week or two prior to existing tenant moving out and tell everyone the unit will not be available for showing until a certain date...then I'll call back and schedule all the viewings later.  I know the prevailing opinion on this is to show the unit as soon as you know it's going to be vacant to minimize vacancy but for me the reasons I did the opposite are: (1) The applicants (and the existing tenants) appreciate the courtesy of not being hassled the last few weeks when things are hectic; (2) The unit is rarely in a presentable state with packing boxes out, pictures on the walls removed...(3) it's a challenge to schedule for a mutually convenient time for three parties as I prefer the existing tenant to NOT be home.  But this one time I broke my own rules as the existing tenant is moving out to another part of the state and is gone three days out of seven and he encouraged me to show it...so I did.  I told the applicants that to expect the property to be a bit messy and it is not the final product and it needs cleaning, painting and some repairs. and even though I set the expectations I still get many "there are some smudges on the wall and nail holes can you knock $25 off the rent?" and "these blinds are crooked how about giving me a better deal and waive the security deposit?"  Funny thing is those who made those comments were all females, the guys didn't seem to mind, or may be they didn't even noticed.  I guess I am going back to not showing a property until it's ready, I don't know how you guys can make that work.

DO YOU CONTINUE TO SHOW AFTER AN APPLICANT HAS BEEN APPROVED?

Pretty sure the answer is yes.  For me I continue to advertise, I do slow down on the showings because I couldn't in a straight face tell someone "yes the property is still available" which is technically true but if I already have an applicant, collected app fee, did the screening and I approved it, and all I am waiting is the lease signing and collect my first, last, SD, I feel I need to let them know that I haven't sign a lease, the situation is dynamic and can change but I have already approved an applicant, I will show it if you are still interested and 10 out of 10 the caller would not want to see it and just say to let them know if the situation changes.  Now of course the applicant can back out after only paying a $35 app fee so I normally push for a lease signing ASAP (within days) to collect my money and get everything in order.  However this time around I have a series of projects - electrical, water heater, roof, counter top, termite tenting...and the termite tenting is the schedule killer since I need the roof done before tenting due to new wood being brought in for repairs that may be infested, and I don't want the tenant to move in and have to move out for a few days to tent, so the scheduled move in date is set 3  weeks away, which means we probably won't sign a lease till later.  So the question is, do you continue to show just in case the applicant finds something else and back out, or you collect a deposit to hold the unit and stop showing?  If you continue to show, do you say anything to new callers to let them know you already have someone lined up?  If I don't say anything I would feel like I am wasting someone's time and being deceiptful, if I say something it is pretty much the same as saying it is already rented.

CAN ONE SIGN A LEASE WITH AN OPEN ENDED MOVE IN DATE?

As I mentioned earlier I have a series of projects that need to be executed and some of those are tasks that need to be done in that order and throw in the permitting process, historic preservation board's oversight, power company connect and disconnect schedules, termite tenting schedule, weather, I do not have full control over when the unit will be available, so the move in date is more like "NO LATER THAN FEB 15" but could be sooner.  This makes it difficult to get a lease executed unless we can sign a lease with the NO LATER THAN clause.  Is it better to just collect a holding deposit or to go ahead and execute a lease now with an open ended date and revise it later?  Pros and Cons?

Loading replies...