Vaping vs Smoking

9 Replies

I had a potential tenant tell me that she vapes, and asked if that would be a problem. We don't allow smokers in our units (inside and outside are 100% smoke free). Are there any second hand health issues relating to vaping? As I am not a smoker, I have no idea. Are there any concerns to vaping indoors? Damage to the units, etc.?

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Vaping is the new I'm quitting smoking craze.   If they used to smoke it is likely they will go back to smoking.  Otherwise, it's a "harmless" water vapor not FDA regulated way of taking in flavored nicotine.  I think the only potential consequence is if they go back to actually smoking in your unit.  

I think @Bryan N. is right.  Most vapers I know are also smokers.  To me the real issue with smoking in one of my properties is not the second hand smoke, it's the smoke damage to the property.  I don't know enough about vaping to know if it would leave behind a residual odor.  The odor would be my concern.   Are there vaping solutions that leave behind an odor?

For me, if I had a smoke free policy, including for the outside, I would ban vaping. It would help keep my other tenants who hate smoking happy, and help to differentiate my property from others in the neighborhood. But I'm speaking as a Californian, and live in a state where very few people smoke these days. 

@Beth L.  undefined

@John A.   And @Beth L.  

I wouldn't personally be concerned about residual odors.  They are pretty clean and literally "vaporize", but I could always be wrong.  I have a tenant that vapes (he doesn't know I know) and anytime I've been there the place always smells clean. It's a water based vapor without all the tar and crap that cigarettes leave behind.  

@Bryan N. , @Beth L. and @Lee L. ,

If these things really are no more harmful than a humidifier, I'd probably take a chance and let a tenant use.  But I would make sure to add extra wording about smoke residue (tobacco or otherwise) and clean up fees.

I guess our culture hasn't really figured out how to deal with vaping.  A lot of businesses treat vapers as smokers.  But if it's only water vapor, it seems to be the perception that is disliked more than the actual effect.  So, is vaping just too politically incorrect for most people?  It'll be interesting to see where vaping goes in the next year or two.

Originally posted by @John A. :

@Bryan Neal, @Beth L. and @Lee L. ,

If these things really are no more harmful than a humidifier, I'd probably take a chance and let a tenant use.  But I would make sure to add extra wording about smoke residue (tobacco or otherwise) and clean up fees.

I guess our culture hasn't really figured out how to deal with vaping.  A lot of businesses treat vapers as smokers.  But if it's only water vapor, it seems to be the perception that is disliked more than the actual effect.  So, is vaping just too politically incorrect for most people?  It'll be interesting to see where vaping goes in the next year or two.

At then end of the day vaping is basically harmless to a home.  It's the "I'm vaping because I quit smoking" that will cause problems when they go back to smoking.  A lot of people will smoke outside, but vape inside.  No right answer on this one IMO.  I would ask the direct question.  Do you vape, because you use to smoke?  If the answer is yes, then treat them as a smoker.  Smoking is a tough addiction and more often then not they will return to smoking.  The future of vaping will be determined by the FDA when they decide to study the health consequences and regulate it.  

We have a no-smoking policy and plan to expand it to no-vaping as well. The World Health Organization warns about the hazards of vaping.  Read about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/sarah-knapt...

"WHO recommended that e-cigarettes should be banned indoors, because they emit chemicals potentially as dangerous as cigarettes and have a potential passive smoking risk."

I've also heard reports of faulty ones exploding and causing a fire.

Also, if the tenant vapes and used to smoke, she probably has plenty of friends who also vape and/or smoke, so it is likely more people with these addictions would be visiting your property. You'll have to monitor more closely, or you will most likely see tobacco, or other substances, smoked on the premises.

I also ditto what others have said about the likelihood of her reverting back to cigarette smoking.

@Beth L.  

Vaping is basically just warming oils to essentially vaporize them, so you will not have smoke in the home.  As far as the dangers of vaping, it's significantly less harmful to someone as opposed to traditional cigarettes.  As they are still fairly new, regardless of what the WHO states, there just has not been enough studies to definitively prove long term health effects.

That said, prolonged vaping can leave an odor in the home because those vaporized oils have to go somewhere.  It's definitely not nearly as bad as a smoker but it could be of a concern.

I smoked since I was 15 and quit 2 years ago, switching to using a vape, e-cig, whatever.  I have a group of close friend who had got me into it.  We have taken it to the next level as not only a nicotine supplement, but a hobby as well.  Im sure you've seen those people blowing large clouds out of the hand built vapes.  I am not one to jump on band wagons, but this is one I am into for some reason. 

The reason I am telling you this is that in my home office I use a large, obnoxious, cloud blowing vape (that I would not use in public or while day to day operations - too expenisve and don't want to break).  As I am now, and every evening while doing paperwork, research, etc., I constantly hot box my office.  If you walked into my office the next day, you would never be able to tell I was using the vape the night prior. 

Occasionally, I will spill a little vape juice on my desk, but other than that I see no draw backs to tenants using the vapes.  Another thing is, a tenant is going to do what they want to do, particularly in this case.  I don't know how many tenants I told not to smoke, and they do it anyways, or many other rules for that matter.  Its going to depend on your tenant.  Overall, I don't think this is a major cause for concern. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.