Suggestions on rental with tile flooring throughout house

19 Replies

hey guys, i'm fixing up a rental that has tile floor throughout the entire house.  while the tile is clean, it has a cold feeling to it.  also, being that i live in nj, it can be cold in general during the winter.  after reading various forum posts some people like tile throughout while others hate it.  

i was thinking about doing a floating floor on top of the tile and i see that many members on the forum recommend vinyl allure flooring for rentals.  while i would consider this, if im going to put a floating floor, i believe it's best not to gunk up the tile below with glue.

any suggestions of what to do?  

Have renters bring in rugs/carpets.  Maybe money you don't need to spend?

@Ryan Pal  TrafficMaster (makes Allure & Allure Ultra) is one of many brands of luxury vinyl plank flooring. There are many different styles and features available, most of which do not use adhesive. Look for the click together type and read the posts in the BP thread about Best flooring for rentals for more information. Cruise the internet too. 

that's the ongoing debate.  i feel that it would warm up the entire vibe of the house if it had a floating wood floor, however, it could be less money spent just like you said.

how bout stage it with some rugs/carpets.  Just have to get it rented?

Just a friendly reminder to consider door clearances, stair treads, exterior thresholds and ease of replacing existing appliances (when failure occurs) whenever adding a new floor material or removing an existing.

This may help you consider removing the tile if you pursue decide to pursue a new surface.

@Keith Ferrante  Thanks about floor clearance.  Hoping to put in a new floor end of this month.  Forgot about the clearance.

Originally posted by @Kirk R. :

@Keith Ferrante  Thanks about floor clearance.  Hoping to put in a new floor end of this month.  Forgot about the clearance.

Most people do.  When I'm wearing my Architect's hat, I find this to be one of the top 5 "oooops...I didn't think about that" items when doing rehab.  Also consider that if the tile floor cracks under anything permanent you put over it, you will hear it.

One more thing regarding any floor type.  Consider the size and shape the material comes in for waste, and how it figures in your cost.  Carpet sometimes seems the most cost effective option, but since it comes in rolls of 12 and 15 foot lengths, a 10 x 9 bedroom will have guaranteed waste...and the scrap pile costs just as much as the material that is installed.

Tough question.  There's tile throughout likely because it was a rental and people didn't want the maintenance.  Personally, I'd hate it, but if it rents with the tile, then leave it.  If you can't get any renters (or decent renters) the way it looks now, then consider other floor coverings.  I'd replace it with a high quality laminate that I got on clearance (at least that's what I'm doing today :) ).

thanks for the info guys.  i think a combo of everything mentioned might be my best optin. try to stage it with area rugs and if it doesnt rent i can always put down the floating floor.

@Joe Villeneuve  Yeah I was looking at tiling something a while back - would have had to cut the bottom of the door - I was like nope - contractor can do it - but I had forgotten that experience.  What do you think the other of the top 5 "ooops" are?

@Alan Mackenthun  How much is clearance?

leave it that way it is, tile is one best investments in flooring, it needs little to no maintenance, lasts forever.  as Kirk says, tell them to bring their own carpets, if unit feels cold, check attic, insulation or hvac, filter make sure it's working properly. 

Unless you are in a low-end area I don't think having tile throughout will attract good candidates in the northeast.  Just my opinion.  If you decide to use flooring like Allure Traffic Master just make sure whoever installs it does so correctly.

Just my two cents here-

Its a rental, If the tile looks good and is in good shape, leave it. It takes quite a bit of time to tear up, possibly repair subfloor if they just glued it to that (unless its on concrete), lay down new, and then lower base trim, toe kick, and standing door trim. The standing trim for doors can't be lowered without having it look horrible up top, so you would need to  get new trim, paint, then install. Sure you can cut some corners here and there if you want, and the end result may show that.

After all of the cost and time of doing it how long would it take you to get your money back in rent? Will the place rent for 25$ more a month with a new floor or will it rent for 200$ more per month with a new floor?

@AJ S. - it's not necessary cold but more so doesn't have a cozy feeling, hence the idea of putting in a floating floor.

@Cole Walker @Michael Noto - i guess time will tell. i'm not sure you can command another 200 a month, perhaps quicker turn around time.

Originally posted by @Kirk R.:

@Alan Mackenthun How much is clearance?

I found top quality laminate flooring on clearance at a local big box for $1.20/sf at 55% off.  I've used $0.79-0.99/sf cheap laminate before, but this really does look and feel so much better. 

Just an FYI - If you put vinyl (sheet or planks) over tile without an underlayment such as luan, the tile pattern will show through the vinyl.

Ryan;

Try the area rugs if that makes sense unless the tile is really old looking. If this is a long term rental for you (hold the property 5+ years) then I would bite the bullet and replace it with what you want. You could find somebody pretty cheap to demo it in 1-2 days (not that much money); than you could put down whatever you wish. If your not going to hold onto the property long than do the rugs or something else. Be careful going over tile with something other than carpet (I hate carpet) as it will show all the grout lines/seam etc. unless you put an underlayment on top first.

lots of good advice here. it's a bit of a tough decision.  I'm born and raised in the Northeast.  Moved to Fl, in nov 2013.  Everything in the northeast is hardwood and carpet with tile only being in kitchen areas (and even then hardwood is often prevalent)  In florida, tile is EVERYWHERE.  We have rainy season where it's a gurantee that 5 out of 7 days will have significant rain and we have very sandy soil so that sugar sand just acts like sand paper on laminate flooring.  I HATED tile but moving here and seeing what all the other homes had and the argument for it, I went with it. 

So to me it's all about what kind of neighborhood is this rental in and what kind of tenant are you trying to attract?  somebody thought tiling the whole thing was a good idea for a reason.  Hardwood is everywhere in the northeast but so are leases that say you are required at your own expense to cover 80% of the floor with carpet!  I like the idea of staging the unit with some carpet to give potential tenants an idea of what the place can look like.  I'm not a fan of laminate.  cheap laminate is just that, cheap, and it needs to be ripped up 5-7 years.  Tile is forever; which when it's an ugly design, color, or grout can sometimes be a bad thing!

@Mark Langdon

yes that's the plan. if we do floating floor we wouldn't skimp on the padding below :)

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here