Florida landlords - how are you doing with your insurance?

Florida landlords - how are you doing with your insurance?

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

I have to say, my insurance is becoming very difficult to manage.

Down here in Florida, because of hurricane threats, we have to carry, for a rental property, a dwelling policy, a windstorm policy and a flood policy. The flood policy may or may not be necessary depending on what flood risk zone you are in. The good news is due to the last FEMA flood map update in our county, I was able to get my flood insurance rate changed on many of my properties, and the annual flood rate went from over $2000 to just over $400 per year for some of those properties.

For a while there many insurance carriers are not taking new policies in the state, so the only carrier that we can buy new policies from was Citizens.  Recently I have been receiving letters from Citizens stating my policy at this address is being transferred to other take out insurer, and my policy at that address is being transferred to another take out insurer...my agent told me if we opt out of this switch, I run the risk of Citizens dropping us because we were given a chance to switch and refused.

When they do the take out policy, they might do it one policy at a time.  So now I have for one single property, Dwelling was being taken out to "Heritage Insurance", Windstorm with "Weston", and flood staying with AllState.  These new insurers I have never heard of, a quick Google some of these are new companies with no history to speak of.  I saw one news article saying these insurers will hike your rate by 25% easy come renewal time.  Another news article says a Tampa based take out insurer went insolvent and many people lost a portion of their premium and then they went back to Citizens.

Last count, just on seven properties I have in additional to Citizens, policies with ELEVEN other insurance carriers, ELEVEN!  How do you all manage this crazy fragmentation?

and how do you deal with being switched to these unknown new insurers?  If you opt out of the take out offer, and stay with Citizens, you risk being dropped, and you risk having a 45% premium hike in the event of a major hurricane and Citizens runs out of funds.  If you don't opt out you are now stuck with a total unknown company who is sure to raise your premium come renewal and you have no out, you can't walk out of it.

Finally, I don't have an umbrella policy, and I think it's time I get one.  Any advice?  Who with?  What is the typical amount you insure for?  A million?  2 millions or more?  Does an umbrella policy cover your own residence too or just rental properties?

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Brandon, FL · Member since 2008 · 283 posts · 64 votes
11y

@Sam Leon My insurance agent told me that if premiums increase, then you can switch your policy back to Citizens if the insurer that is assuming your policy increases the premium by 15%. 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Brandon, FL · Member since 2008 · 283 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    @Sam Leon My insurance agent told me that if premiums increase, then you can switch your policy back to Citizens if the insurer that is assuming your policy increases the premium by 15%. 

  • Aaron T.Pro Member
    Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 278 votes
    11y

    Most umbrella policies will go through your auto carrier; at least that is what i have been told by a few companies i have spoken with. 

    INS in FL is a PITA, because nobody wants to insure. I even had USAA, and because I moved my primary home, they would no longer insure me....so much for a military benefit. 

    I have citizens on both my rentals. The older homes cost more, even if it is a complete rehab. 

    Flood INS is currently subsidized by the state. If you remember last year the flood INS scare. people were going to have to sell there houses if the rates went up, because for some it would have been unaffordable. Because of the subsidy, I think twice about flood zones. If the rates were to sky rocket, there would be no way to get out from under that property without taking a loss in my opinion.

  • Agent / Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2014 · 573 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    @Aaron T. - I have a close personal friend who is an insurance agent in the area if you want to talk to someone honest who can help you find the best price on insurance. Let me know and I can give you his information. He can do anything for you on flood/auto/home/rentals/life/health, he is who I go through with all of my stuff so I can personally vouch for him. 

    I don't get a kickback or anything for his mention, I just like to send him any business because I know he is legit and is willing to give me the hundreds of quotes I am always bugging him for. 

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Sam Leon 

    Regarding an Umbrella policy, if your properties are in your personal name, try to get an umbrella from your home owners agent that goes over your personal residence, personal autos and rentals.  If you have a mix of rentals in your name and in some llc's, chances are you will need to go with a commercial policy.  A commercial policy will not go over your personal residence or personal auto, but would go over all your rentals regardless if they are in your personal name or llc.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Spring Hill, FL · Member since 2014 · 234 posts · 132 votes
    11y

    I have 2 homes in FL, mine and a rental. I don't use Citizens and I'm not in flood zones ( I wont buy in a flood zone as the ins is so high) I have a friend too who gives me quotes all the time...wonder if its the same person @Brandon M.  ;)

  • Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2014 · 733 posts · 155 votes
    11y

    I have 1 home in the FL panhandle and insurance is crazy expensive.....

    I had to get wind mitigation inspection even though one had just been done within the last year...and then 3 yrs later they wanted me to do another wind mitigation inspection.

    Those aren't free by the way! lol

    Flood insurance is paid annually and I think goes through FEMA...cant remember.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Wes Eaves:

    @Sam Leon My insurance agent told me that if premiums increase, then you can switch your policy back to Citizens if the insurer that is assuming your policy increases the premium by 15%. 

    I will check into this.  It would be nice to have a ceiling.  I know Citizens have wanted to hike the premium even higher and had been shot down by the governor, so now they move you over to other carriers and they hike the premiums.

    We already pay an arm and a leg on insurances!  Sooner or later I will need insurance against insurance premium hikes.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    @Brandon M.  Would you mind passing me contact info for your insurance guy?  

    Thank you!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Sam Leon excluding flood which (I am familiar with the situation with FEMA ect) what would your combined insurances run on say a $350,000 property in Florida? We are paying $1600 assigned risk in RI but wind damage is restricted and we have 500,000 liability. I am looking at getting into some property in Florida.

     For umbrella note that your auto needs to have more then the minimum, they told us 500,000  before they would write it. Unfortunately we haven't been able to get the auto to that level.   

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Brandon M., Would you please send me the contact info for your insurance agent? I am pricing for a SFR in Frostproof. Thanks!

  • Agent / Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2014 · 573 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    @Camille Pronovost - I am sending you a PM with his information. Make sure to give him my name so he will take good care of you, he is a good friend of mine. 

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @Brandon M. - Could you send me your insurance agent's info also?  I'd be interested in talking with him.

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    11y

    Just wanted to throw out my sympathies!  Although I am not in the FL market, I am in NOLA where we have the same issues with few companies insuring here...or not taking new clients...and insurance is ridiculously expensive no matter how you slice it.

    I only have one duplex and, the first two years I owned it, it was covered by FOUR different insurance companies!  One for flood, one for personal property, and then the policy I had with AllState broke out the dwelling/liability part of the insurance with them as the insurer for liability and dwelling...except for named storms damage.  They wouldn't cover that for a new policy.  So just that part was insured by Citizens.  The whole thing was just so crazy.

    Then I switched to Lloyd's of London, through an agent.  They covered everything, except the flood insurance, for 25% less.

  • Grimes, IA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @Brandon M. Can you please PM me your agent information too?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.