• Austin, TX
Votes |
Police raid on property

Jacob Pereira
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jan 15 2015, 21:31

Hi guys,

I've been checking out the site for a few weeks now, and had hoped that my first post wouldn't have to be quite so crazy:

I closed on a fourplex on December 29th, 2014, it is now January 15th, 2015. I am currently in Florence, Italy visiting my sister (first vacation in two years), and I got a call about an hour ago from the Austin police that they did a no-knock raid on three of the four units and that the doors now need to be barred up. They would not give me any other information. I've already called a contractor out there to fix the doors, but there's not too much more I can do until I get back to the States and check it out. 

I'm assuming I'll still have to go through normal eviction proceedings even if my tenants are in jail, correct? I also have a section 8 tenant; does anyone know if the government will continue to pay his rent, even if he's in jail? If not, how does the eviction process work there?

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Any advice as to how I can deal with this proactively while in another country?

Thanks,

Jacob Pereira

Loading replies...