Last Months Rent for Section 8 resident in Missouri

2 Replies

We have a section 8 prospect who only qualifies for our company with last months rent paid up front in addition to their full month security deposit. Im just curious if anyone knows if section 8 allows this (getting an answer from them is not so easy.)

Also if I remember correctly in Missouri you can only have a maxims of 1 months rent on file as deposit meaning the last months rent could not be considered a deposit instead of their last month of rent. I feel this is probably not allowed by section 8 as they are the ones paying rent and do not want any rent paid outside of what they allow.

Section 8 will allow what's ever allowed by your area (state or city). For instance, in My area, you can only charge up to 2x rent in last month/deposit holdings, so it's legal to charge a full last months rent, but you have to take a smaller deposit and then also presumably refund a bunch of that last months rent at the end. Most landlords here just charge a larger deposit and forget about last months rent.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here