Experience with Trafficmaster flooring in rental.

7 Replies

Hello - the rolled linoleum needs replaced in the kitchen of my SFR.

I love tile, but want something warmer. 

I'm looking at vinyl floating floors.  I would like (if possible ) to replace damaged tiles w/out disturbing the rest of the floor.  Ive read  a lot of good feedback on Allure Ultra, but Does anyone personal experience with Ceramica in a rental?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Ceramica-...

I don't want any wood "looking" floors because the LR is oak.

thanks11

Sounds like Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) might be a good choice for your application. Remember there are many options, not just what's available at HD.

LVP (luxury vinyl plank) and LVT (luxury vinyl tile) brands you may come across: Achim, Aquarius, Armstrong, BeaulieuBliss, Burke, Congoleum, DecoratorsChoice, DesignersImage, Devine, Elite Click, CrownLake, Forbo, FreeFit, HomeLegend, Karndean, IVC, Mannington, Metroflor, Moduleo, Mohawk, QualityCraft, Shaw, StainMaster, Style Selections, Tarkett, TrafficMaster and others.

Here is HD's link for LVT: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Vinyl-Flooring...

Here's a good link for Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com/Flooring/Vinyl-Flooring/_/N-1...

Here is a Menard's link: https://www.menards.com/main/flooring/vinyl-floori...

We shop at specialty flooring shops and design stores too. The choices keep getting better! Shopping around for the best product for your need is certainly worth doing!

With vinyl plank flooring or vinyl tile flooring there are many variations in design and thickness which will account for the variation in prices. It can be overwhelming. Overtime, the product availability and quality has been improving. The professional installers are good judges of the differences... they look for ease of installation, how well the edges fit together, how well the edges hold up, quality of product, final look, and number of "call backs" they get from the customer.

Some products are 100% water proof, some are water resistant. The interlocking ones being the waterproof ones.  The "grip strip" adhesive ones work well for those who have a good eye, but can be a challenge to lay if you get one crooked. The click-together interlocking ones tend to stay straight and can be locked and unlocked. You can actually take up the interlocking type flooring and move it elsewhere if need be. In a flood situation the flooring could be reclaimed and used again. There are glue down types and non-glue down types. There are installed types and free-floating types. Some can be put together and taken apart, some can't. Some require padding underneath and some don't.

We installed one of the early versions of Allure Ultra LVT in a small bathroom and could have done better. It was the grip-strip type and it went down a little crooked, leaving some seam gaps. The products are improving and we will do a better job next time. Haven't tried the Ceramica yet.

@Marcia Maynard    I agree, LVT appears to be in my future.  I just want to select one that will be long lasting.  thanks for the info

@Holly Prokop  

I've having great success with HD Allure FVP. The people in my market love it. I had it professionally installed because my work left a lot to be desired. Since these floors may last forever - I decided to have a pro do the work.

Originally posted by @Holly Prokop :

@Marcia Maynard   I agree, LVT appears to be in my future.  I just want to select one that will be long lasting.  thanks for the info

I've noticed warranties will often give you a clue as to how long lasting the product will be. We are just starting to look at various LVT products too for the kitchen in our own home. It appeals to me because it is lighter weight than stone, slate, tile and would be easier on the floor joists. Easier on the feet too! We have custom oak cabinets and the window/door trim is wood stained a medium brown, so we don't want to overpower the area with a wood grain floor. We will definitely go for the interlocking 100% waterproof type.

@Aziza Sackett  

I really like the sustainability of bamboo and I like the idea of growing it in pots on your rental property to make a little ancillary income, but I don't like the look of the knots in the flooring. 

It doesn't look orderly to me.

If you want your rental to appeal to the general public, you might want to be more mainstream. If you're trying to appeal to a target niche - go with the bamboo.

@Al Williamson  thank you SO MUCH for your response and insight on bamboo vs a more mainstream look. It is sincerely appreciated!!!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.