Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mike Wallace
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Votes |
tenant broke 2 door handles in 2 days? what would you do?

Mike Wallace
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Posted Jan 17 2015, 20:08

Just bought a new house from a guy i met. Deal was too good to pass up (maybe this is why). Already had a tenant that was living there. I assumed their lease, 11 months left. It was all legally assumed by me with an attorney present.

First day I own it I call her to introduce myself and explain how I want the rent paid. She goes thru a list of things the previous owner promised her the new owner (me) would do. I was like "no...i did not assume anything but the lease. sorry. let me know if something needs fixed that is not working"

I had to go and fix a bunch of little crap. Small holes in wall etc. I did it as a courtesy and to get in the property and meet her. The lease states that the first $50 of any repair tenant pays. I fixed everything for free to be nice and try and get off on a good foot.

2 days later she calls me and says the door handle fell off. I go over. Door had obviously been broken into, more then likely by her...prolly locked her self out. I replaced it ($25 lock set...took 5 min....whatever)

calls me next day and says the lock broke again just like last time. "i say you broke it again" she responds "i had to break it my son was inside alone and i had to break it...i forgot my key and it was a safety issue for my son..blah blah blah"

I tell her to refer to lease and pay me $50 toward fixing it. 

Loading replies...